The Potter Wedding

“Oh that’s horrible!” gasped Cassie, picking up that morning’s Daily Prophet as she cooked dinner, seeing a picture of a pile of bodies on the front page, along with the caption:

MUGGLE FAMILY ATTACKED: SIX PEOPLE DEAD

She read it as she cooked, wand in one hand as she waved it at the pasta.

Yesterday evening another family of Muggles was found dead, this time in Lancashire. The family of four, two parents and two young children, were found dead in their home along with two elderly Muggles believed to be their grandparents. This is the fourth attack on Muggles this month, believed to be another unprovoked murder by He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and his Death Eaters. The Muggle police are treating it as another murder by the ‘serial killer’ who is supposedly roaming loose in the Midlands, but the Ministry is continuing to put their efforts into finding the true perpetrators.
Once again, the Ministry begs readers of the Daily Prophet not to take any unnecessary risks, to report any suspicious behaviour to the Auror Department and to familiarise themselves with the symptoms of various charms, hexes and spells the Death Eaters use. It is only by keeping yourselves safe that the Ministry is able to keep you safe.

******************************************************************************************

“You look amazing Lily!” said Cassie as Lily spun around in front of Cassie, her white dress swirling around her feet.

“Are you sure?” Lily asked, her nerves showing through.

“Of course I’m sure Lily! You look absolutely beautiful!” Cassie said as she zipped up her dress and looked at herself in the mirror. It was gorgeous, a floor length and floaty pale silver dress with one shoulder and an intricate beaded band around her waist. Not even this, however, could come close to Lily’s dress. She was wearing a simple strapless dress with a thin overskirt which was hemmed with lace and had a number of flowers embroidered on the bodice; over this she wore a small lace jacket embroidered with more flowers and with three-quarter length sleeves and the overall effect was stunning. Lily’s long red hair was partially held back in a loose bun and she had a number of lightly curled loose strands trailing around her face.

“I just wish my mother was here to see this,” Lily said wistfully. “I don’t understand why she got to see Petunia’s and not mine.”

“I know, yours is going to be much nicer as well,” said Cassie with a smile. “Don’t cry,” she murmured as she tried to hug Lily without creasing her dress, “you’ll ruin your makeup.” Lily laughed and smiled at Cassie. “I’m so glad you’re here Cass and I’m sorry I’ve been so hard to live with these past few months,” she whispered as Cassie reassured her that she didn’t mind in the slightest. Suddenly the portrait in the corner shouted, “Hurry up or you’ll be late!” and shunted them out of the room.

They hurried down the stairs and out of the door, desperately trying not to trip over their dresses as they stepped outside into the early summer sunshine, walking slowly towards the small church. Lily seemed to get more nervous with each step, until she was shaking.

“Why are you so nervous Lil?” asked Cassie, taking her hand and smiling at her. “Getting cold feet? Regretting your decision to marry the most annoying man on earth?”

Lily smiled weakly. “It’s just everything’s going to change now, isn’t it? What are you going to do? Where will you live?”

“I’ll probably just stay in the flat. I don’t know. I think the more important question is where you’ll live!”

“Oh my god, I’m actually getting married. To James Potter!”

“Yeah, I remember when you used to hate him, life was so entertaining,” said Cassie nostalgically, succeeding in making Lily laugh.