Hogsmeade

“I just saw the weirdest couple on my way back from Care of Magical Creatures,” said Lily as she collapsed onto the bench beside Cassie. “Actually, thinking about it they weren’t weird but it was pretty disgusting.”

“What! Who?” she asked as all interest in her Charms work disappeared.

“That Slytherin prefect Lucius Malfoy and Narcissa Black,” revealed Lily as Cassie’s eyebrows travelled higher and higher up her forehead.

“Is she Sirius Black’s sister?” asked Mary as she tried to make the cup they had been given play music.

“Cousin,” answered Cassie as she changed her cup from singing ‘Love Potion’ to a Christmas carol medley.

“Cousin. That makes more sense now. He doesn’t get on with his family does he?”

“No, I saw him arguing with Regulus the other day in the fourth floor corridor,” said Lily as she bewitched her teacup to dance in tune with its song.

“Brilliant! Brilliant!” said Professor Flitwick as he examined their teacups. “Perfectly in tune as well Lily and it dances! I don’t know why I even bother coming to check that yours is correct! I’d better watch out or you’ll take my job!” he laughed as he walked on.

“What were they arguing about?” asked Alice absentmindedly.

“I don’t know I didn’t stop to listen; I was going to be late for Potions.”

“Lily you wouldn’t even have to turn up to Potions to get top in the class,” said Cassie.

“Slughorn loves you anyway; his eyes light up whenever he sees you.”

“That’s a bit of an exaggeration!” she laughed.

“Lily he told you that you were the best pupil he’s ever taught. How was Slug Club last night anyway?” asked Cassie as her teacup began to waver on a particularly high note.

“It would have been nice if Lucius Malfoy hadn’t kept whispering to that Nott boy all evening while I was talking to Sev.”

“Poor you Lily, life is just full of hardships isn’t it,” teased Alice.

“Please can you come to the next meeting Cassie?” Lily begged. “They’re really not as bad as you think and Slughorn really likes you. He’s beginning to get a bit suspicious of all your excuses though; what was the last one?”

“Couldn’t make it because I had… got locked in a bathroom by Peeves, I think it was.”

Mary and Alice sniggered and Lily smirked as she tried to hold in her laughter. “How on earth did you manage to convince him of that anyway?”

“Well I pretended to be really excited about it when he invited me; I was like ‘I’d love to come, I’m finally free that day’ and stuff like that so then I got one of the second years, some distant relative of the Head Healer at St. Mungo’s or something, to tell him I was trapped in a bathroom. It sounded really genuine because I’d told him I was going to be there,” she said as she cackled evilly.

“He was really worried about you when she said that, wanted to send someone down to rescue you.”

“And no one volunteered? Ouch, that hurts.”

“Well you know, it’s hard enough for me to get rid of you as it is, I wasn’t exactly going to go and fetch you,” giggled Lily as her cup blew up.

“Oops,” said Cassie, not at all contrite.

***************************************************************************