Cassie and Sirius

Sirius was walking through one of the corridors after lessons when he saw Cassie sitting on the floor. “What’s wrong Cassie? Is this about what happened before Transfiguration?” he murmured as he sat beside her, wrapping his arm around her shoulder and pulling her close to him, feeling her shivering against him. “You’re so cold.”

“The thing is… I didn’t really know them that well, well quite well but they’re not exactly my parents are they… but they were people that I knew. And well… the thing is… I’m scared. I’m terrified. They’re only getting stronger and stronger and nothing anyone does is stopping them. My parents are Aurors, what if they die next? I don’t want them to die,” she said, tears streaming down her face. “I like my life how it is now Sirius,” she said, her bottom lip trembling as he wiped her tears away with his thumb.

“Ssh… ssh,” he whispered as he held her close, hurting for her. “Everything will be ok.”

After a few minutes Cassie tried to straighten up, wiping her eyes as she laughed. “You must think that I’m so pathetic,” she said weakly, “I know that my parents will be fine but… well I knew the Wrights and…”

“I don’t think you’re pathetic Cassie. I could never think that,” said Sirius.

“Really?” she said with a smile, lifting her tear-stained face up to his and still looking heartbreakingly beautiful.

“Of course not,” he said with a slight smile. “I love you Cassie, I probably always have and I definitely always will.” Sirius’ eyes widened in shock as he realised what he had said, “I mean…” he said, trying to backtrack as he got caught in Cassie’s eyes.

“Good,” she smiled.

“Good?” Sirius asked as happiness and hope burned within him, making each of his limbs tingle as the warmth spread throughout his entire body, yet cautious of allowing himself to hope too much.

“I’ve been waiting for you to say that for a while now,” she said smiling, and the happiness exploded as Sirius bent his head and kissed her. “But I’m warning you,” Cassie said, as she pulled away slightly, “if you break my heart-”

“I would never do that Cassie. Never, I promise,” Sirius said passionately.

***************************************************************************

“Looking forward to spending more time together Evans?” teased James as they sat together in the common room while Cassie was sitting on Sirius’ lap and playing with his hands.

“About as much as I look forward to exams,” said Lily.

“That must be quite a lot then,” snickered Cassie as Lily turned red.

“Oh!” said James in a creepy voice. “I see how it is Evans. We can always double with those two.”

“I’m fine thanks James,” said Lily as she glared at Cassie, who just shrugged casually.

“Don’t look at me; I was just sitting nicely over here with my boyfriend.”

Sirius smiled. “I love hearing you call me that,” he whispered as he buried his face in her neck, making her squirm away and giggle. “It tickles!” she cried.

***************************************************************************

Sirius stroked Cassie’s hair slowly as they lay in the grounds, her head in his lap. “It’s so warm,” he said softly as he watched James chase Lily through the grounds, their shouts drifting towards him over the grass.

“Mmm,” she agreed sleepily, her eyes shut and her feathery eyelashes lying demurely against her cheeks, “it’s such a lovely summer.”

“What do you think about Lily and James?” he asked suddenly. “He likes her, you know.”