Prologue

THIS IS A FAN FIC! ALL THE CHARACTERS EXCEPT CASSIE BELONG TO J.K ROWLING, AS DO ALL THE PLACES. HOWEVER, THE STORY BELONGS TO ME!

This is 100% true to the story; if J.K Rowling wrote it, it happens exactly that way in my book.

Sirius was huddled in a corner when the next guard came round; the Dementors had been patrolling outside his cell all day - as they did with every other high security prisoner - but it was a pity he couldn’t have at least a moment to himself he thought wryly as the numbing cold lessened ever so slightly, the Dementor passing on to the tenant of the next cell. From somewhere down the wing he could hear Bellatrix’s unmistakeable screams and cackles as she swore, once again, that ‘the Dark Lord would return’.

Over time the grief that he had felt that fatal Halloween all those years ago had faded, but the anger at Pettigrew which burned deep inside him was still as strong as ever and not a day went by that Sirius didn’t wish that Prongs had refused to change from him to Pettigrew. Now, skeletal from starvation, dishevelled, dressed in tattered clothing that provided no protection whatsoever against the infernal and eternal cold of the Dementors and with sunken eyes and greying hair, Sirius bore no resemblance to the man he had once been; everything that was dear to him and everything that he cared about had been stripped away from him. Everything except for Harry.

Harry Potter was all that remained of James, all that remained of Lily, and all that remained of Sirius’ view of the world before it was so cruelly tainted, not to mention his godson. Sirius had no idea where Hagrid had taken Harry that night but trusting Dumbledore to choose wisely didn’t mean he didn’t feel bereft of the chance to prove his worth as a father figure; not that he could provide the best influence from Azkaban.

With a sigh, Sirius retreated into his memories, the only place where he could escape the terror of the Dementors and retain his sanity, however detached he became from reality as a consequence. His memories were the only place that they all still lived, together, and Sirius would give anything to have it back that way.

**********************************************************************************************