Christmas as Fourth Years

*******************************Fourth Year**********************************

“Thank you so much for letting me stay at yours over the summer,” said Sirius as they returned to the common room after the start-of-term feast.

“It’s nothing mate; it was great to have you there. You should come and stay more often.”

Sirius laughed bitterly. “Trust me; I’ll take you up on that,” he said as he saw Regulus heading towards the dungeons.

James ruffled his hair up as they climbed the stairs making the others laugh.

“You aren’t seriously still hung up on Lily, are you?” asked Lupin smiling.

“You should have heard him over the summer Moony; it was torture. ‘I’m going to ask Evans out again as soon as we get back to school, but what if she says no again… I’ll make her say yes… What if she gets a boyfriend…? If she starts going out with Snivellus I’ll…’” he said as he impersonated James. “On and on and on,” he moaned jokingly, “there was no end to it! I mean, don’t get me wrong, it was funny seeing him act like a girl but…”

“I don’t think you’ll ever be able to make her say yes,” said Lupin as they saw her climb through the portrait hole ahead. “I mean, she must be the only girl in the school who doesn’t drool over you.”

“Her and her friends; she’s probably got them convinced you have dragon pox or something,” smirked Sirius.

“None of them want anything to do with me; you should have seen the way Cassie looked at me last year.”

“We did!” said Lupin with a chuckle as he remembered James’ disastrous attempt at asking Lily out at the end of their third year.

“You know I’m surprised you’re not more bothered as well Sirius, they’re the only girls in this school that would be a challenge for you to go out with; all the others practically undress you with their eyes.”

Sirius grimaced. “It is well known that I am the best looking person in this school, but that image was unnecessary; I won’t be able to feel safe walking the corridors anymore. Anyway, I’m not interested.”

“Are you sure?” leered James. “You could have Cassie and we could double,” he said with a suggestive smile.

“I’m fine thanks! I wouldn’t want to go on a date with you anyway!”

“But Sirius… I thought we were made for each other.”

“Well you thought wrong. Sorry, did I crush your hopes?”

“Yes and all of my dreams as well.”

“Seriously though, I think you might underestimate just how much I hate them; they’re all fanatics – if you thought Narcissa was bad you’d be overwhelmed by her sister.”

“I thought you said you liked your cousin?” James questioned.

“Oh yeah, I don’t mind her middle sister; but Narcissa is practically a saint in comparison to Bellatrix.”

“Wasn’t she one of the Slytherin seventh years when we first started?” asked Lupin. “I think I remember her torturing someone in one of the corridors.”

Sirius laughed darkly. “She probably did a lot worse than that, if I know her well. Regulus practically worships her, as do half the other Slytherins; she used to hang around with Lucius Malfoy and that gang.”

“Didn’t Snivellus follow them around?” said James.

“Yeah; wouldn’t have surprised me to be honest. She’s awful, came over to see Regulus and the rest of my pure-blood loving family to tell them she’s become a Death Eater. Already! She’s been one since just before she left school.”