Second Year Begins

Cassie grinned at Lily as they watched the Sorting, feeling excited but, at the same time, sorry for the first years that had yet to go, all of them looking as if they wished the ground could swallow them up.

“They look terrified,” whispered Lily to her from across the table as they watched a small girl join the Hufflepuff table.

“I remember how scared I was when I was waiting,” said Cassie, almost nostalgically. “Absolutely terrified, thought I’d end up in Hufflepuff!”

“Cassie there are good things about Hufflepuff!” Lily remonstrated.

“Not as many good things as there are about the other houses.”

“Willinson, Restortia.”

“What a brilliant name!” laughed Cassie. “Oh, she’s a Slytherin,” she said as the girl headed off towards the far table. “Maybe it’s not such a brilliant name… well I suppose I can still mock her for it…” she mused.

“You and your aversion to Slytherins! I’m sure she’s perfectly lovely.”

“Yeah perfectly lovely like a deathly illness; most of them are. Anyway, you know I’d never… you know,” Cassie muttered. “I’m not like Potter or Black,” she said, grimacing. “Plus I’d get in trouble for it.”

“I know Cassie, don’t worry!” Lily rolled her eyes heavenwards as if praying for the strength to continue. “Shut up and eat your food,” she said as the meal magically appeared in front of them, the table buried under the mounds of food.

“Ah roast potatoes my old friends, how I’ve missed you,” sighed Cassie as she emptied the bowl onto her plate.

“Leave some for everyone else!”

“I can’t put them back in the bowl now; they’ve been on my plate. They’re mine!” she said evilly as she cackled.

“Cassie, you aren’t just going to eat potatoes are you?”

“No Mother, I’m going to save room for my pudding as well; don’t worry, I’ll have a balanced and healthy meal,” she replied sarcastically. “Now where’s the gravy?”

***************************************************************************

“Oh how I missed History of Magic,” said Alice sarcastically as they sat down in the classroom.

“It’s so convenient that this classroom’s desks are best for sleeping on,” said Cassie as she lay her head down in her arms.

“Cassie!”

“Mmhmm?” she mumbled.

“It’s the first day! Surely you’re not going to begin by doing no work?” said Lily sharply.

“Well I might as well start the year as I mean to go on,” she said sleepily. “Besides Lils it’s only Professor Binns,” she said as he walked through the blackboard, shimmering slightly in the faint sunlight. “And we have three years until our exams!”

Even in autumn the classroom was stiflingly hot and soon the only person who was listening to Professor Binns drone on about the origins of the International Statute of Secrecy was Lily, whose notes were now covered in a number of doodles, mainly ugly faces which Cassie had labelled, ‘This is Lily’, before promptly falling asleep.

Suddenly a crash resounded throughout the room, waking everyone up and disturbing James and Sirius as they bewitched a parchment dragon to fly around the room, which fell to the floor in front of Professor Binns who continued on with his lecture oblivious.