Chapter 29: The Letter

Emma's P.O.V:

"I never got a letter back," I say to Marissa as we watch a movie. Killian and Liam are out somewhere spending time together before Liam goes back to Boston and all the other kids in the system are asleep, so Marissa and I are just spending some time together.

"There's still three weeks left till the end of summer. Don't lose hope just yet," she comforts.

"What if I don't get it? Killian and I are gonna be so far away from each other. I don't know how we're gonna make it work," I sigh.

"Well, Emma, Killian only has two years left. So it won't be as long as it could be," Marissa tries.

"Still. If I could just get into Drogheda then we wouldn't have to worry. I applied months ago, Marissa. If I'd gotten in I would've heard back by now," I whisper, shaking my head. "I got into other colleges but none of them are close enough and none have as strong a program in bail-bonds as Drogheda does."

"Let's not focus on that now, then. Why don't you focus on the three weeks of vacation you have left with Killian before you go off. You're backup is NYU, so that's all set. If you don't get the letter then so be it. You cant change that. All you can do is hope and enjoy what time you have left with your boyfriend."

"Why do you always have to be right?" I mumble, resting my head in her lap.

Marissa just smiled, running her fingers through my hair.

"I've been meaning to ask you something," she says quietly.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"So... I know you're technically not in the system anymore, but... I was wondering how you'd feel if... if-"

"I'm back!" Killian's voice rings out through the house as he comes into the group home, his keys jangling.

"I'll tell you later," Marissa says with a warm smile, laying a kiss in my forehead.

"Kay," I answer with a smile, rising to greet Killian.

"Where's Liam?" I ask.

"He went back to Boston. I'll be seeing him again soon, though. He promised me not to stay so far away for long again," Killian explains, kissing me softly.

"Okay, that's good. We're meeting up with, Belle, Mary, David, and Robin tomorrow, by the way. They haven't seen you in a while, plus David and Robin flew in from Ireland and they miss you so..." I ramble.

"That sounds great, love. Have you picked a college yet or are those letters just going to live in your drawer?" he asks me with a smirk.

I sigh. I haven't told him that I applied for Drogheda yet.

"I'm set in NYU, but I'm still waiting on one more letter from the school I wanted the most," I explain briefly.

"Which one?" he asks.

Damn it.

It was hoping not to have to say anything.

I don't want to give him the hope I've given myself by applying... what if I don't get in? I don't want to disappoint him. I don't think I could handle that.