Chapter 18: Checkup

Emma's P.O.V:

I wake up in my bed and the memories of the day before come flooding back. Tears fill my eyes but I don't let them fall. No. I won't let Neal have the satisfaction of breaking me. I sit up in my bed and slip on my slippers. I check the time on my phone: 11:23 am. Wow. I slept in. It occurs to me that Marissa must have let me skip school. Yes, no history, I think. I throw my hair into a messy bun and stand up.

"Ah!"

Um, ow.

I'm sore all over and the pressure hurts like hell. I didn't even notice that one of my feet is broken or something. I sit back down and rub my legs to soothe the pain. Taking deep breaths, I try again, more gently this time when I notice Marissa has laid a pair of emergency crutches aside for me.

Thank you Marissa, I think.

My headache had completely blown over, thank goodness. Someone must have given me medication. I clutch the crutches and raise myself up. I notice the bruises, cuts, and scars Neal left on my arms, and pretty much my whole body, and cringe. Those are gonna be hard to cover up with makeup.

What kind of messed up situation is this?!! In what world does this sort of thing happen?! It's not normal, that's for sure, and I definitely don't appreciate being the victim of the situation.

Ignoring the evidence of the day before, I use the crutches to work my way to the door, and when I open it I find Killian.

"Ah, I see you're up. Good. Well, love we've got to take you to the hospital. Get the leg in a cast, check for injuries in your... you know. And make sure you're not, well, pregnant."

"Oh, uh okay. How come you're not at school?" I ask.

"Do you really think I'd let you do this alone?" Killian smiles softly and pulls my lips gently to his. I smile pulling away.

"Thank you," I say gratefully.

"Of course, love."

I let Killian take one of my crutches so I can get down the stairs more effectively using the railing.

"Does Marissa-"

"She knows everything, love. As does Elizabeth. Nobody else though. And before you ask, Belle is fine. I spoke to her already and she's doing perfectly well."

I grin at how he read my mind.

"Open book, love."

I laugh.

"Never thought I'd hear one of those again," Killian says, kissing me again.

"Well someone's in an awfully good mood. What's going on?" I ask.

"Oh nothing this and that. Or perhaps I landed that bloody bitch's sorry arse in jail."

"Shut up!"

"Aye, I did. And he bloody well deserves it."

I look at him in disbelief and almost stumble. Killian catches me and helps me onto the couch in the living room.

"What the hell?! How!"

"It was quite easy actually. All the police needed was to see you, and we let them."

"Wow. I mean, thank you."

"Quite welcome, love." I smile at his flirting as Marissa walks into the living room with a tray of breakfast.

"Now he's got to deal with that rancid bologna they serve and he won't be getting out for years," Killiam mumbles in my ear with a triumphant smirk.