Chapter 17: Explaining

Marissa's P.O.V:

Emma. She's gone. And there's nothing I can do but wait. I've called the police and told them everything I know. Moments after Emma disappeared with that strange man, Killian came bursting in. He followed them, and I stayed here in case Emma manages to come back.

And I know, the scariest part is letting go...

'The Words' by Christina Perri plays on the radio beside me as I fill out some paperwork for the police department. If Emma is missing for 24 hours they will start an official search, and these papers will give them the authority. This song really makes me think of Emma and Killian. My phone buzzes beside me and I check the caller ID.

Killian.

"Hello?"

"Marissa I need you to get to Diggery Street. I've got Emma, and the man who took her is under the police's custody. He hurt the bloody hell out of her so hurry. I'll give you more details in the car."

"Ok, I'm on my way."

I drive straight to Diggery Street picking up Killian and Emma. He lays her gently in the back before hopping into the front to explain everything.

"I don't know all the of details, but I know this much from Belle," he says quietly. "The man was Neal and-"

"Her ex?!" I exclaim.

He puts a finger to his lips, telling me to quiet down. Right. Emma. In the back. Sensitive topic.

Oops...

"Aye, that's the one. As I was saying, the man was Neal. He uh... he raped her and he beat her. When I found them, he was about to shoot her through the head. Luckily I hit him over the head with a history text-boom before he got the chance. Belle, a friend, was there as well. She'd been beaten and threatened by him as well. Fortunately for her, she was not raped. Belle walked with us until we reacher her home and on the way we spoke with the police over the phone. They assured us that heavy charges would be placed against Neal. He will without a doubt be sent straight to prison," he explains in an undertone.

"Wow. That's a lot to take in. How's Emma doing, do you know?" I ask, worried.

"Well she's taken quite the toll. It's a miracle she's even conscious. Although she's a bit out of it."

"I can imagine. We'll have to get her checked out at the hospital. Make sure she wasn't severely damaged," I whisper.

"Aye, good thinking," Killian agrees.

We arrive at the house just as the kids are getting home from school. Killian carries Emma upstairs while the rest of the kids swarm him with questions. I pull them all away so that 'captain swan' can have their space.

"Marissa? Will Emma be okay?" Little Kayla asks with big eyes.

"Of course sweetie. Now go finish your lunch okay?" She nods and goes back to her seat at the table.

"Will she really?" Elizabeth asks softly from beside me. I answer truthfully.

"I have no idea."

I head upstairs and find Killian shutting the door to Emma's room.

"How's Emma?"

"Tired."

"Tomorrow we take her to the hospital."