Chapter 27: The Brothers Jones

Writer's P.O.V:

Emma sat on her bed, the rest of the orphans downstairs working on little projects Marissa had put together to keep them occupied. She ran her fingers through her hair, desperately trying to decode the website she was on to get some more information on Brennan, Killian's father.

She frowned, scrunching her eyebrows together like she did when she was focused, and deleted a few key letters and numbers, replacing them with symbols of her choice. She crossed her fingers, closing her eyes and counting to twenty.

When she opened here eyes, she eyed the screen, and-

"Yes!!" she exclaimed as the information she was searching for appeared.

Brennan Jones, 57 years old, arrested for multiple offenses of drunk driving as well as unintentional murder, also known as manslaughter. He has also been arrested for several counts of intended murder. Has been admitted several times into a variety of mental institutions, and yet, still he continues to commit crimes, mentally ill, Emma read.

She paused, shocked at the find.

Surely this man wasn't Killian's father... right? There was no way.

But looking at the picture, it was evident they were related. Emma had found Killian's father... but at what cost? If Emma showed this to Killian, he'd be absolutely devastated. Crushed. She couldn't do that to him. But he deserved to know, he had the right to know.

She sighed, resting her head in her hands on her lap as she closed her eyes. She rose, heading to the drawer in the little dresser at the side of the orphanage room and pulled out one of Killian's shirts. She changed out of her own and into Killian's, his lingering scent bringing her comfort.

Killian had said he'd be gone only a week, but it had been two since he'd left. He hadn't answered her calls in the past couple days and it was worrying her.

But she forbade herself to think of anything other than the moment he'd come back home.

*   *   *

For the two weeks that he'd been away, Killian had just been... watching. He had yet to meet the man he'd soon call his brother, but he planned to approach him in person that day.

He'd been far too nervous to approach him any other day, but today... today was the day. He had to confront his brother.

And besides, he missed Emma like hell and hadn't been able to speak to her in a while as his phone had died and he'd forgotten his charger back home. Not to mention he didn't have her number memorized. 

She could be worried sick with him not answering or returning her calls.

He had to get back to her, but he couldn't. Not yet. Not without confronting his brother.

With a deep breath and sudden burst of confidence, Killian strode onto the docks and up to his brother.

"Eh, hello, Liam?" Killian asked, catching Liam's attention.

"Yes... hello," Liam answered with the same accent as Killian. "Do I know you?" he asked.

"Killian Jones," Killian said softly, holding out his hand.

"Killian?" Liam asked in disbelief, staring at his brother. "As in... my brother?"

"Aye," Killian whispered.

"But, after all these years and with how father... how? How are you here, you were never meant to find me," Liam asked desperately.

"What do you mean?" Killian asked.