Are We Buying Pink Or Blue?

Chapter Seventeen... Are We Buying Pink Or Blue?

Ultrasounds.

The more I went, the more anxious I got about meeting my little baby. I honestly couldn't wait, I was that excited. But naturally, I was also nervous, and scared partly too. But most of my nervousness and fear came from knowing that in about five months, I'd be giving birth. And that was the part I was scared of. The internet did it no justice; pain.

I didn't do well with pain.

"I'll be there with you today, Becca," mom promised. "Provided some idiot doesn't decide to slam his car into a tree like the one last night. Messy."

"Did he survive?" I asked, shocked.

"Yes, and surprisingly without too many injuries," mom sighed. "Hopefully the fact that he was seventeen and well over the blood-alcohol limit, and that he'll lose his licence for at least two years will make him think next time."

"Kind of makes me want a girl more, then," I chuckled.

"Well, the odds in our family are that the baby's a girl," mom laughed. "But... if Addy makes it any different..."

"Oh, Addy's different," I frowned. "But honestly, I don't care if the baby's a boy or a girl. I'm happy with either. I only hope that it's healthy and happy."

"That's the most important thing, Bec," mom smiled proudly. "But my guess? The baby's a girl."

I chuckled.

"That's my guess, too, but I love the name we've picked for if the baby's a boy," I grinned. "But I guess if we have a girl, we can use the name for the next baby, if that baby is a boy."

"It makes your mind race, doesn't it?"

"Too much. I was going to keep it a surprise, but you know, if someone else knows and you don't, it's kind of sucky."

"The doctor?"

"No, Noah said this morning that if I changed my mind, he'd still find out anyway. I think the element of surprise is out, when Noah knows and I don't. It should either be a surprise for both of us, or we both know."

"Sweetie, I don't think Noah would really find out if you didn't know..."

"I'd hope not."

"He's just messing with you. Blame Emily for that."

"Emily?" I frowned.

"Yes, she wants to know, so she teamed up with Noah so that he could pretend he knew if you decided to keep it a secret, even though he wouldn't actually know. But Becca? I'm only telling you this because I know you want to know."

"Did you know I was a girl before I was born?"

"No. Addy I found out, except she was supposed to be a boy. And I knew that Zane and Ethan were boys, but Lily kept her gender a secret by crossing her legs every time I had an ultrasound. Emily was a surprise, and so were the twins."

"Wow. I... wow."

"In the end, you find out anyway, no matter what."

"Exactly."

I walked over to mom's kitchen window. It was a Thursday, but Emily had stayed home today because I wanted my favourite little sister at the ultrasound too. Mom would be there, along with Noah. Addy didn't want to come, Lily had an exam, the boys were less-than interested, choosing to go to school over getting the day off. And the twins were a bit young, plus they liked school. It did make it easier to just take Emily.