Forget Paris. Let's Get Married!

Chapter Eight... Forget Paris. Let's Get Married!

When mom came back into the room at the hospital, I didn't even need to say anything to her. It was like she already knew what I was going to say.

Or maybe it was really that obvious.

"Mom..." I began, but she simply held her hand up to silence me.

"It's okay, Bec," she said weakly, sitting down in the chair beside the bed. "I mean, that's why I brought you here, right?"

"A part of me was hoping that it was just a coincidence, too," I confessed. "But I'm happy. I mean, why wouldn't I be? I uh... I just didn't plan for it to be this way."

"Well, you're gonna be like, six months pregnant when you get married, you know," she sighed.

"I know," I mumbled. "So much for looking stunning in the dress I got."

"Oh, but there's much more to life than a wedding where you're thin and youthful," mom smiled. "I was pregnant when I got married... actually, I was a whale. Let's not talk about that."

"I've seen photos, and you looked beautiful," I complimented.

"You'll just have to exchange your dress," mom chuckled. "And thank you. Your grandmother tried to convince me I looked beautiful anyway, but I wasn't listening. I was stubborn, just like someone else I know."

"Guess I take after you more than I thought," I smiled.

"Oh, you do, Becca, you do," she laughed. "Come on. You have a party to get to."

"Oh, right," I sighed. "The party. Maybe I should just skip it?"

"You're going, but just don't drink," she smiled. "You've gotta look after my first grandchild, now, you know."

"Of course," I smiled.

"And you have to tell Noah," she hugged me one-armedly.

"Right," I frowned. "That might... yeah, I'll do that now. Or when... when I get home..."

I was still in a bit of disbelief.

Curiousity had me, though. I wondered what Noah's reaction would be to us becoming parents before we'd sort of planned to. It was my fault, too. Would this anger him? Would my carelessness make him bitter about the situation?

I shook off my negative thoughts and left with my mother. The drive home was silent, with mom occasionally asking me random questions. It still felt strange, to know I was going to be a mother soon enough.

Arriving at home, Noah was there.

"Oh, here goes," I breathed.

Getting out of the car, Noah came rushing over, looking worried.

"Bec, where have you been?" he asked in a panic. "I was freaking out when I got here, and you weren't here. I tried calling you... it was like the night of the accident all over again!"

"Relax, Noah," I smiled, chuckling. "I'm fine. We just had to go do something."

"I'll leave you two alone to talk," mom said softly, walking inside.