A Family In Tatters

Chapter ... A Family In Tatters

Rushing to the hospital with Noah, I couldn't stop crying. It wasn't like anything I'd been around before. My baby sister was in trouble, real trouble. And if Addison hadn't arrived at the hospital in the back of an ambulance, my mom, who is coincidentally a doctor, didn't even know that her daughter had been potentially seriously injured. The phone call from my father had sent shivers down my spine.

I just knew that Kyle was going to hurt her. However not in the way I'd anticipated.

"What if she dies?" I asked Noah through tears, breaking the silence. Noah drove with his hands gripping the steering wheel tightly.

"She won't," he said, trying to encourage me. But he didn't look convinced.

"You don't have to sugar-coat it for me, Noah," I sniffled. "I know it's probably worst case scenario. After all, she was on the back of a motorcycle. I mean, mom's gonna flip when she learns that."

"Let's try and get to the hospital before Addy arrives there, and your mom has a heart attack, okay?" Noah smiled weakly.

"Dad's probably there," I breathed. "Addy rang him afterwards, and that's how he knew. She was conscious, at least."

"Yeah, and hopefully still is," Noah whispered softly.

We arrived at the hospital, and I fled inside as fast as my pregnant body would carry me. With only two weeks left until my baby arrived, it wasn't very fast, and Noah followed me whispering for me to slow down, or I'd drop the baby in the corridor!

I found the desk on the emergency ward where my mother sat, talking to a nurse.

"...teenage girl, in a motorcycle accident," the nurse spoke quietly. "The two are lucky they're still alive, as the bike hit a car."

"Ohh, if any of my kids ever got onto the back of a motorbike..." mom said sharply. "They're all smarter than that... I hope..."

"Well, if my daughter Sarah ever got onto her boyfriend Danny's motorbike, I'd pull her off of it with my bare hands!" The nurse scoffed. "The kids on that bike were reckless."

"How long until they get here?" mom asked.

"ETA five minutes," the nurse stated.

"I'll get the teams set up," mom said, and she left the desk.

And suddenly she was right in front of me.

"Becca!" she cried, stunned. "What are you doing here? Is it baby time?! Where's all of your stuff?"

"Mom, no, relax," I said as calmly as I could. "I'm not in labour. But..."

"Oh, I was getting excited," mom frowned. "What is your father doing here?"

I turned around, and dad had arrived with the whole family. Noah wrapped his arm around me as mom walked over to dad. It was like it was happening in slow motion. Behind dad was my younger siblings, the six of them, minus Addy. Mom didn't know about Addy's accident yet, she didn't know at all. Well, she knew there were kids in an accident, but the moment she found out that Addison was seriously injured... none of us were ever going to forget that.