Chapter Forty One

Olivia Hernandez

It was nightfall by now, as I could see from the so-called "window". Bri was sleeping next to me on the rags of cloth we had been provided with. I was only awake because I wasn't tired yet, and I wanted to make sure that they wouldn't take us away or pull us apart from each other. I looked down at Bri and saw tears coming out from the corners of her eyes. I grabbed the ends of my flannel and brushed them against her cheeks, letting the tears soak into it.

It'll be alright.

I promise.

I stared up at the ceiling. It had a small hole in it with three layers of glass. The stars twinkled brightly, almost taunting me about their freedom. I sighed helplessly.

Alex, where are you?

Should I bio-link him..?

Sitting down, I put most of the rags/blankets on top of Bri, letting the warmth disappear from my body and hug her instead. I took off my shoes and my socks, putting them beside me. My bare feet felt cold, but I pulled a small portion of the rag over them to keep them from freezing.

Bio-Link To: Alex James
Hey.. are you awake?

He didn't reply immediately, which I expected anyway. The energy from my brain began seeping away, and I knew that I needed sleep or else I wouldn't be able to recharge it. I slipped down to the floor and pulled a few rags over myself.

Just a small nap...

~~~

The night passed by a few hours, and I woke up again. There was still no reply from Alex, which I found peculiar. He was usually awake, and when he was, he always checked his notifications. I sighed heavily. He's probably saving up his energy to save us. I smiled slightly and pulled my knees to my chest. I miss him so much right now. I want him to hug me and tell me it'll okay. I let out a small huff and looked at the floor.

"He's coming.." I whispered to myself for some self-hope. "He'll be here and rescue us."

"No one is dying."

"Yeah right.." I murmured angrily. "All of these idiots are dying when I get out of here."

I then looked at the sky again and heard a small giggle from beside me. I turned around and saw Mom smiling at me. "Hey there, honey! I just wanted to say that your boyfriend is coming soon." She put a finger to her lips and winked, making my cheeks flush.

"M-Mom!" I exclaimed quietly, shaking my head, "Alex isn't my boyfriend."

"Oh? When did I mention Alex in this?" Mom replied, giving me an innocent look that masked a laugh. My cheeks reddened again, and I put my face in my hands, groaning in embarrassment. "I'm kidding, I'm kidding! But he is coming, so don't worry."

"Thank god," I replied, smiling cheekily.

Mom smiled, "You two are so cute together! Why hasn't he asked you out on a date yet? Better yet, why haven't you asked him out on a date?"

"Mom!" I whined. "I'm in the middle of a life crisis!"

"Oh, right," she stated, humming to herself, as if she had forgotten. "I visited your father earlier. He's worried about you, Olivia."

I smiled, "I know. I miss him too." I sighed. "I still need to tell him Alex came back and that we're chill."

"Chill?" Mom gave me a questioning look and sighed in confusion. "Teenage language these days just does not make any sense to me at all." She turned to me. "Your father is also being released next month. Are you having a party for him?"

"Duh," I replied.

Mom laughed and hugged me, squishing her cheeks against mine. I giggled, and she cooed, "That's my little cupcake!" She looked at the brass watch on her wrist. "Whoops. I have to go help a few other spirits. I'll visit again soon dear! AND DON'T YOU DARE LET ALEX COPY OFF OF YOUR HOMEWORK. Oh, and tell Felicity I said hello! Ah, I do miss her!"

"Bye Mom!"

Mom then left, and I sighed again. Alone, once more. Bri was still asleep, and all the lights were turned off in the building we were in. No one was around here, since we were in the middle of the whole freaking countryside in an abandoned factory that I found on the map in my brain. I sent it to Alex, but I didn't know if he caught on yet. Once again, I sighed. Suddenly, I found Bri waking up from her sleep.

"What time is it?" She asked quietly.

"Midnight," I replied.

"'Kay..."

She stood up and began stretching, walking around and around. Though she was in confinement, nothing stopped her from staying fit and exercising. I looked through all of my gears, my tech brain, and everything else. I kept scrolling through the bio-link site, and it was bugging me soon. I wonder when he's gonna come. And he still hasn't replied to my bio-links.

Then, ironically, I got a link.

Bio-Link From: Alex James
Am I allowed to kiss you right now?

Bio-Link To: Alex James
Depends if you're here.

Then, I heard small clangs and two figures fell into the room from the "window" above my head. What the fuck? Alex and Cody found us sitting against the wall, and immediately Cody went to look for any scratches on Bri, hugging her tightly in his arms. Alex hugged me as well, and I sighed contently. He's here. He's finally here. He kissed my cheek, and I giggled. We all began to explain what happened, taking turns to do so. I was glad that Alex was alright, especially in the flesh.

I think what scared me was that his father might've defeated him. Well, I know what else they both have in common besides their eyes. They both have murder in their bloodstream. Alex pulled back and sighed in relief, letting out a puff of air.

"Sorry it took us a while," he said, grinning, "We had to ask Meladia for proper directions."