Condoms

I grabbed my car keys,  closed the door behind me and punched Brody in the arm.

"Hey!"  He winced in pain."What was that for."

"For being an ass.  It's not bad enoug his brother in going to scar the kid of life, you have to add to it by asking stupid questions about me?"

"Dude, I'm sorry."

"Shut up."

"So where are you going?" He asked, as i got in my yellow bug.

"Shopping for a coming home dress, then home. U?"

"It's Home Comming not comming home."

"Whatever." I rolled my eyes.

"I'm just going home. Who's your date?"

"Benny.Your's?"

He looked at me like i was crazy. "Isn't that a bit masochistic? I mean you like him and.... well, how do i say this nicely?...Hmmm.... He's upstairs, conducting bible study, with a girl who's on her knees." He said awkwardly.

I shrugged my shoulders. "So?"

"Maybe I could take you instead?"

I just laughed it off.

"I'm serious. I was planning on going alone and just hooking up with the Homecoming Queen, since I'm obviously going to be king. I could just take you."

"No thanks. It's nice of you to offer, but I really want to go with him. I know he's only going with me as a friend, and I know it's a little pathetic, but i don't care."

He didn't respond. He just looked at me, somber filling his dull blue eyes. It was obviously an expression filled with pitty.

"Don't worry i'll be fine." I smiled and drove off to the mall.

----- 2hrs later

After finding the perfect yellow dress, I drove home and awaited my mothers arrival. She came home at 10:00 P.M. everyday after work, like clock work.

Every night except for tonight. She was 15 minutes late. Those minutes were the most painfully slow moments of my life. My thoughts went from 'she's going to kill me,' to 'she probably died in a car accident'. I went into a panic attack. If there's one thing i knew about my mother, It's that she's reliable. From kindergarten until i started packing my lunch in 7th grade, she would pack a fresh baked cupcake, 1 orange juice pouch, 2 fresh chicken wraps, 8 sliced strawberries and exactly 32 soy beans. WHy 32? I had no clue but the number stayed consistint. Every Friday she would put a sticky note that had 'TGIF' written on it. During Chrismas she would wrap the best present in a metallic, grey paper and put a pink bow on it.

To say the least, she was a creature of habit; at most,she was a person with OCD. The second i heard the front door open, I mentally relaxed and awaited my impending doom.

"Anne?" She yelled.

"I'm in the kitchen." You know, the one that has all the sharp, pointy knives.

She came in and set a brown paper bag in front of me. She shoved it towards me. "Here."

I looked at her in disbelief, maybe astonishiment. I stayed out all knight with a boy, without telling her, and she buys me a present. I should have done this years ago.

I took the bag and opened it. After peeking in it i was flustered and shamed. My face started to heat up. 

"Wha---wha--what is this?" I stuttered.

"A box full of condoms, a pregnancy test and a plan B pill just in case. I also made you an appointment with my good friend."

"But why? I don't need this." Words could not express how embarrassed. "And what appointment?"

I was so confused. Mother's shouldn't be buying their daughters condomes. They should be taking a page from Mr.Vukasovic's book and beating their sluty daughters. Not that i did anything but that's what mothers are supposed to be like. And that's sweet, easy going mothers. My strict mother should be buying a chastity belt not condoms.

"An appointment with the family gynecologist."

"MOM! Your not listening. I just fell asleep watching movies. Please, call Mrs.Bradly to confirm it."

"I already know. She told me around 3 am when i got to calling her. Do you know how worried i was. I called most half of the people in this town looking for you. That's beyond the point. You do need it. I don't want you to make the same mistakes I made."

"So, I was a mistake?" I crooked. It was obvious if i really thought about it. She works long hours and my dad's not around. Not that i would know if he was; she never told me who he is, or even give me his name. Did he know about me?

I let those painful words slip through my lips and stabed her through the heart. She sighed and shook her head. "That's not what I meant. I love you. I always will but guys easily change their minds. I'm not giving you permission to have sex but it's not like your going to ask me.  So, I rather you be safe."

I felt a pang in my heart. Is that was happened between her and my dad?  He changed his mind? I wanted to know but it's not something i could ask without betraying her.

"Thanks, mom but i really don't need this." I pushed the bag toward her and she shoved it back.

"I'd feel better if you took it."

"But i don't--"

"This is non negotiable, Anne."

"Okay, I'll take the condoms, mother." I went upstairs before she remembered to punish me.