Chapter 3: No C0ck-a-doodle-dooing

~ [Harper] ~

I wasn't stupid. I know this was a big deal for my girl, Ev. Yet, I couldn't help but want to shrug it off as another boring night with a guy who wanted to get into my pants. Not that I knew that for sure with this Liam dickbag, but I needed to make sure that I get to him good.

Nobody hurts my best friend and walks away with it.

I remember when I was first befriending this girl, I had the hardest time getting through to her. It was only when I finally did that she told me how much it affected her.

~[Flashback]~

"Cody seems to really like you," I told her suggestively while cartoonishly wiggling my eyebrows. As she laughed, I continued, "Gonna tap that?"

"No, Harper," she continued to laugh, "I don't do the casual tap."

I raised an eyebrow at her, nudging her elbow, "You seem like you don't do the tap at all. Have you ever even liked a guy?"

I watched as she pursed her lips and let a memory pass through her expression. There was pain in her eyes and I wanted to pity her, but I stopped myself from comforting her. Not many like to be pitied, and if I were her, I sure as hell would slap away anyone who seemed to look down on me.

"I did at my old school," she admitted quietly, like it was something to be embarrassed about.

"Alright," I told her enthusiastically, "Tell me everything."

So she did, and by the end of it, I knew that she didn't just like this guy.

She was in love.

But you can get over love.

I learned that from my mom.

At least she told me she got over love.

"What a d!ckbag. You want me find some guys to send over there and beat his d!ck into concavity?"

She laughed as she looked down at her bag of chips.

"When he asked me, I thought I was floating on air," she said softly, "and a million things went through my head, but the main one was that he and I had a chance. And then he took that away, not just by taking back his words, but by laughing it off. Maybe he didn't mean for it to seem so cruel to me, but it was and I can't forget it."

Her voice was so tiny that I had to lean in and swing an arm around her neck to comfort her. She wasn't crying, but I wanted to make sure she had a tissue in case she did. The tissue being my shirt, of course.

I knew what she was talking about. It seemed silly to hold onto an ugly moment like that, but a heart in love would always grow tender and any cut would only hurt more, scarring it forever. I held back telling her how mine broke the first time, because this was her moment. This is for her to seek comfort and I'm all about that best friend courtesy.

When she told me of the moment he asked her out, I could have sworn I could FEEL her remembering the flutter of her heart. She cared. She loved him and he was insensitive enough to do that.

I don't care if he didn't mean for it to hurt her so much because it did anyway. It made her closed off and if I didn't try, I'd never have made her my best friend, my first friend since... since I lost everyone and everything. I will go through hell to protect this precious cinnamon roll.