Chapter 28: That's a Load of Bullsh!t and You Know it

~ [Evelyn] ~

I couldn't stop shaking as I paced back and forth in the hospital hallway. Mason was being bandaged by a nurse in a room on the other end and I'm here hoping to God that Liam was okay.

There was just so much blood when he took the fall, cushioning Mason's and crushing his own body on the hard granite. I had nearly drowned myself in my own screams as I sobbed beside his seemingly lifeless body. I was relieved when he started moving, but then started to panic as he started coughing up blood.

"Ev," I heard Mason's shaken and guilty voice behind me and I spun around to glare at him.

"What?" I snapped at him.

"Look, I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to go this far..." His eyes sparked with sincerity, but I was too upset to fall into them. I had already dug a hole of grief and dropped myself in it, caving to the fearful thoughts that took over my ability to be optimistic.

There was no optimism to lean on.

Not after all that blood.

"Mason, there were a million things you could have done but you chose violence," I scolded him but it came out sounding weak. I was weak. I just wanted so desperately to see Liam, to know that he was alright.

He was silent as he watched me pace back and forth. Finally, he sighed, "What Liam proposed..." I paused to look up at him. "Let's do it. He was right. He deserves a fair shot to be with you if he really has feelings for you."

I nodded my head and saw his expression droop.

"I guess," he said in realization, "you're not my girlfriend anymore, or at least, for now."

My expression softened for him, but before I could say anything, his and Liam's parents came.

"Mason! Are you alright?" Janette rushed to his side, followed by Owen.

"What happened?" Lillian asked the two of us, which only left me blinking at Mason. How do I tell this woman that her son was in the hospital because of me?

Mason gave me a small smile before responding to the three worried parents, "Liam and I were just playing around at Evelyn's place and then we ended up wrestling a bit. Things got a little out of hand..."

"Where is Liam? Will he be alright?" Lillian's voice was in clear panic, but compared to when she had just arrived, seeing Mason had relieved much of her worried expression.

Right then, the doctor and a nurse came out of the operation room to face us. He was a tired man with a massive bald spot amidst his grays. Poking his glasses, he cleared his throat, seemingly nervous to speak to a worried bunch like us.

"Who here is kin to Mister Saunders?" he asked us as a whole. The nurse, whose name tag said "Marilyn" walked to stand beside Lillian.

"I am his mother and this is his aunt," Lillian responded in a shaky voice as she gestured toward the nurse, "How is he?"

"Well, it seems to be a few broken bones, which we've managed to handle, but he's lost a lot of blood. We will need to perform a blood transfusion, but unfortunately we've run low on O negative. It's rare, but could easily be taken from a O neg carrying parent."

"I'm not O negative," Lillian said helplessly. She turned to her sister with pleading eyes, clearly conflicted.

"I'm O negative. I'll give as much as you need," offered the kindhearted Janette, as the doctor nodded and gestured for her to follow him.