Chapter 23: Hey Look! That Looks Just Like the Stick Up Your Ass!

~ [Evelyn] ~

"You look cute in your pjs," Mason whispered into my ear as we strolled along the walkway where all the vendors were serving food and selling souvenirs. I giggled at the tickling sensation he left in my ear with his breath and smiled at him. I was wearing a loose black tank top with hot pink satin shorts.

"Can't say the same for you," I teased him as I tugged his loosened tie. He was in business attire, having just come from work to pick me up short notice. He knew there was a small school fair today and only today, so he took off from work pretty early. It's been weeks since we've made up and everything seemed fairly normal.

Except I've barely spoken to Liam.

And I keep missing him.

I felt his frustration whenever I was in class with him. He'd always been good at putting on a calm face, but there were little things I learned about him that told me otherwise. He missed me, too, and it was killing him.

Luckily, tomorrow will be our last lab class together, so maybe some distance will do us some good. And yet, I can't help but feel disappointment whenever I remember that it'll be my last chance to see him without Mason hovering over us awkwardly.

"Well, I can't help it if I was in a rush to see my beautiful girlfriend," he cooed into my ear as he left a trail of kisses along my jaw. We were standing in front of a little tent that sold little wooden carvings and I was busy studying a little wooden dragon with its tail above its head.

There was just something about it, though. The poor thing was staring at its own tail like the thing had a mind of its own, like the tail was about the strike its master. Peculiar and intriguing, this little carving.

"Excuse me?" I waved at the lady sitting toward the back, crouched over a book. Her face brightened up as she looked up at me, immediately placing her book down to rush over. "How much is this?"

"That's ten dollars, but for you, dear, it's eight," she responded as I pulled out my wallet.

"Oh, no. That's okay, it looks like you've had a slow day," I gestured at the table filled with unsold pieces, "I can handle full price." I handed her a ten dollar bill.

She sent a heartwarming smile my way and I returned it as she took the little wooden dragon from my hand and bid me to follow her. Mason was busy staring at other carvings, so I just quietly walked to the back with her.

"I'll give you this," she held up a paperweight that was a crystal star, "as a gift."

She handed me the bag with both items and waved me off. I shoved the bag inside my purse before meeting up with Mason.

"I can't believe you actually got it," Mason said quietly as he shook his head with a smile. "I mean, it's cool, but I wouldn't spend money on it."

"I don't know," I shrugged, "I just like it."

And I couldn't figure out why.

~o~

We've been on campus for over an hour and decided to sit down on a cool bench under the shades. I was leaning my side on the backrest and my legs bent over his lap. We were silent as I read a book off my phone and he was scrolling through his.

"This is nice," he whispered as he kissed me knee.

"Yeah, it is," I smiled at him. The loud sound of my phone vibrating filled the air as I was getting a call from Erick.