Chapter 16: This. This Is What Stupid Looks Like.

~ [Evelyn] ~

Bright lights and classical music hit me as I entered the lobby of building owned by Liam's mother, Lillian Saunders. My arm was locked with Mason's as I struggled not to fall on my face in these stilettos that Harper made me buy yesterday.

To pair with the dainty heels, I wore a maroon colored velvet bodycon dress that hugged my curves provocatively. I'd like to make it clear that I did not choose this dress. I don't usually wear strapless dresses, so when we walked by this thing hanging on a rack, I could not have ignored it more. Harper, however, loved the dress, but already chose one for herself.

"You look stunning tonight," Mason whispered into my ear as we made our way to our table, "My girlfriend is the prettiest girl in this joint."

I turned to see his grin and it sends an aching feeling to my heart. I smiled gently at him as he reached his other hand up to wrap it around mine, squeezing it.

To my dismay, we were seated at the same table as Liam and Harper, near the front where the stage was. As we sat down, Harper grinned at me and I gave her a tight-lipped smile. I wasn't sure how I would make it through this night, especially with the stupid face Liam was making as he was gaping me. My eyebrows furrowed as I met his gaze and shook my head slightly before turning to see Mason taking a sip from his glass of water.

A moment later, Mason's parents came and sat by us, Janette with a dazzling smile on her lips and Owen with a stern face. Geez, what's his problem?

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen! My name is Lillian Saunders, owner of Delish Diners," Lillian announced onstage with a microphone tightly held in her hand, "I wanted to celebrate this wonderful tenth year anniversary of successful dining. Please enjoy the food and please have fun on the dancefloor."

She got off the stage to let the DJ do his job and she made her way through the many guests who stood to shake her hand. When she came across our table, we all stood and smiled at her.

"Lillian! The company looks amazing," Janette exclaimed, holding Lillian's hand between hers. Her pleasant expression was a huge contrast to Owen's sourpuss expression. I watched in amusement as Janette nudged at Owen's side, prompting him to reach out and shake Lillian's hand.

His handsome face held the emotion of a grumpy cat as he congratulated her, and she pulled her hand from his uncomfortably. The entire exchange was awkward, but as I turned to look at Liam and Mason, they weren't even noticing it, as if it were normal.

In fact, they were actually both looking at me, and with Mason's line of sight, he couldn't see Liam staring at me. Thank goodness. I squirmed at their gazes, uncertain as to which pair of eyes I wanted to meet more. I glanced at Liam's for a moment, feeling myself want to break down, and then deciding that it was for the best, I met Mason's eyes. His smile was sweet and I knew he saw me differently from all those girls he used to hook up with in high school. I wished he didn't, though.

I wished he saw me as another number to sleep with and then throw away. I wished he treated me badly and stood me up on dates. I wished he didn't remember how I liked my coffee or that I liked blush peonies. I wished he didn't do little things like buy me breakfast or take me to school.

But he did. And he won't stop being the thoughtful and caring boyfriend that he's been.

I suck.

Without warning, Mason leaned over and kissed me on the cheek. My eyes widened only slightly and from the corner of my vision, I caught the change in Liam's expression. He was upset. I looked down at my hands, which rested on my lap, and started biting my lip.