Chapter 41: Room Service! Room Service!

~ [Evelyn] ~

The room that Mason booked for me was on one of the higher floors, where everything was spacious and fancy as hell. The bed was a giant king size with a comforter so puffy, I could sleep on the floor wrapped in it and still sleep better than any mattress I normally could afford.

Every piece of furniture in this suite was chosen to enhance the atmosphere and every corner was carved to detail. Even the drapes added a sense of comfort to the room.

I should have felt like I was in paradise.

But I wasn't.

I had the rest of the day to wait for Harper to get here and I was with nothing but a TV and my own thoughts. The remote was across the room and I was already too paralyzed by my own worries to get up to grab it.

I never really got into fights with Liam. They were always harmless arguments, playful almost. This time was different. It was pretty much me against Grace and he chose to side by Grace.

No. He chose to argue for not only Grace, but also himself.

Maybe there isn't anything between them, but I refuse to give in knowing that there's a chance that there might be. I refuse to be the girl who stayed with a man she knew, or even thought, cheated on her. I have too much pride, but I take pride in that and I rely on that to respect myself.

Sighing heavily, I sat up and got on my feet. I dragged myself over to the counter where the remote was and switched the TV on. I spent the rest of the afternoon flipping through movies I've already seen. Soon, I started to doze off and fell into a dead slumber.

I woke up to perky sounding knocks on my door. With one hand wrapped around the top of my head, I walked over to open the door with one eye closed.

"Hey girl," Harper greeted cheerfully, but then changed her tone, "Whoa, someone's been over-napping."

"Yeah, I know," I croaked. "I'm just feeling down."

"Would you still feel down if I told you I got you a dress I saw on my way here? Oh my god, it's perfect for you, Ev," she gushed as she pulled a lavender dress out of a shopping bag.

It was the sort of dresses you'd expect to see on a model. The satin was smooth against my fingers and shined under the light of the bedside lamp. It had simple spaghetti straps that held up a very low sweetheart neckline. There was no doubt this piece would hug every curve I've got and flaunt it for the world to see.

"My favorite color," I gasped as I felt the fabric with my fingertips. "Thank you, Harp."

She threw her arms around me excitedly, letting go of the dress, which now hung flimsily on my fingers.

"Just feel better for me, okay? We're in Vegas!" She gestured her hand toward the insanely amazing view of the strip outside the window. "We should be out there getting drunk and having fun!"

I let out a chuckle as I nodded in agreement.

An hour later, I was all freshened up and we were both ready to go, in our new dresses. Harper had on a dark green dress that ended right below her cooch, because, of course, she was a classy lady.

~o~

The night was breezy as we got out of the cab and stood in front of a packed club. There was a long line of people waiting outside the front door that stretched out to the edge of the building. I turned and headed toward the back of the line when I felt Harper's hand slip along my skin, locking our arms together.

"Whoa, hey! Where do you think you're going?" She yells as I get yanked back beside her. "We stick together tonight."

"Well, duh," I rolled my eyes at her. "There's a line."

"Nope, tonight we cut in the front, Ev. No more of your Miss Sunshine. We are here to party!" She spoke into my ear as we made our way to the bouncer, who eyed us like he was ready to pounce. Without a word, but rather a chill nod, he gestured for us to go in. "Oh my god," Harper exclaimed in my ear, "we're wearing these dresses again the next time we go out."

Inside, the music was thumping so hard, I felt my heart beat harder just to match the pace. After downing five shots and sipping a few margaritas, Harper and I went out on the dancefloor to sweat off the liquids. In the crowd that seemed to slowly close in on me, I felt body on body without any worry about whose is whose. I just closed my eyes and followed the beat of the music until I felt Harper shake me back to reality.

"Come on, let's head out. I can't feel my feet," she shouted over the music.

I nodded in agreement, noticing the same in mine. Still drunk, we stumbled out with heels in hand and bursting with giggles for absolutely no reason.

The cab ride back to the hotel was a blur, and given how much Harper was trying to check him out, the driver received a nice tip for his politeness in the face of sexual harassment.

We were two girls dangling off each other, or rather leaning on each other for support. In the elevator ride up to our floor, I felt Harper rest her chin on my shoulder.

"I want m-more drinks," she whined in my ear.

"Then why are we heading back?" I turned my head, failing to get a good look at her face.

"Because I'm tired. I want drinks in the way that sad single moms do: in bed with the TV on," she giggled. My best friend is so cute.

"Well, Mason said room service would be on him..." I trailed off as Harper's eyes widened beyond recognition.

As the elevator dinged us open to our floor, she tugged me out to the hallway chanting, "Room service! Room service!"

Right as we entered our room, Harper went straight to the phone with the menu in hand. "Girl, what you want?"

"I don't know, just get a shït ton of food for me. I'm starving."

As the food arrived, Harper just grabbed the drinks and tucked herself in with a remote in hand. She sipped from her bottles as I scarfed down the amazing waffles while late night television gave us the best it could offer.

When I was done, I made my way over to Harper's side of the bed to get the bottle out of her sleepy hand and make sure she slept with a pillow on her back. After watching a girl choke to death on her own throw up on a tv show, I vowed to never let myself or anyone I could save go through that.

"You always take care of me, Ev-Eva-Evelyn. You're like a MILF," she mumbled in a sleepy slur.

"I'm a what?" I look at her, amused. I straightened back up and raised a brow while my hands rested on my hips.

She raised a finger to her lips and smiled at me as she shushed me, "Shhh! I need to tell you a secret!"

"I swear, Harper, if you need to pee, you better get out of bed," I groaned.

"No! No, no, no, no... I slept with Mason," she revealed, leaving me staring blankly at her.

"What?" My eyes could not be wider as I waited for her to say something else, but all she did was continuously groan.

She slept with Mason? Is that why he's finally okay with being friends? When did this happen? Should I care?

"Just recently?" I asked her, feeling a sense of urgency rise in me.

"No, no, no... A while ago... S-sorry, Ev..." She sputtered her syllables.

I was speechless, taking in this unwanted piece of information. Mason, the knight in shining armor, was nothing more than a dude on a donkey.

He cheated on me. He cheated on me with my best friend.

"Ev," Harper whispered with her eyes closed, "I need to pee now."