Chapter 2: Fan-freaking-tastic

Note: Music is only there for me to express the mood I feel from the chapter as I wrote it. Ignore if you're not feeling it.

~ Evelyn ~

The young professor standing in the front cleared his throat as his eyes that were on me glanced up at the clock, indicating the class hour had started. I quickly sat down in a seat at the corner of the class, feeling Liam and Mason's eyes on me. This class seemed to only have a little under twenty students and I was the odd man out, sitting in the back, away from everyone else.

Avoiding the guys' stares on the other side of the room, I focused on the professor, who happened to be a dashing man in his late twenties or early thirties. He distorted his face, shifting his lips to the side and blew air upward to get his fine blond locks of hair out of his face. With a strong figure and a nice face, he could definitely be the target of the various girls in this class who were currently gluing their eyeballs to his body.

"Alright, class. My name is Charles Dixon, but you can just call me Charlie. I don't like that professor bullshit." I raise an eyebrow at his introduction. "This is a seminar class, so there won't really be a lecture for you guys to snore through. Instead, we'll be diving straight into the work this week by selecting partners and introducing the quarter-long assignment."

I felt a cold rush of panic hit my spine and the blood drained from my face as I shot my head up to look at the other students in the class. I didn't know any of them besides two guys, and god forbid I get stuck between them. (a/n: 😉)

"I trust that as grown adults, you can find your own partners. I'll give you several minutes to select your partner and learn three interesting facts about them," Charlie went on to explain.

Panic. Panic. Panic.

My mouth went dry as I stare at the professor with pleading eyes, hoping he'd walk over and let me work alone this quarter. His eyes met mine and they widened as he started to mouth numbers, counting the students in the room.

"Well," he announced before the timer went off, "it looks like we have the unfortunate case of an odd number of students. You," he gestured at me, "Miss..."

"Evelyn," I answered, swallowing my raspy voice, "Evelyn Martinez."

"Miss Evelyn, Evelyn Martinez," he winked at me as if his joke was so funny. I heard a few chuckles from the other students, probably the ones who wanted to kiss ass and dodge Fs. "You will be joining one of the groups already formed up here. Anyone willing to take her?"

"We will!" exclaimed the two guys I was trying desperately to avoid.

Great. Fan-freaking-tastic.

They quickly picked up their bags and sped over to my corner, grins spreading across their stupid handsome faces. Ugh.

"Hey, smart move sitting in the back. Now we can get off task without the prof hearing," Liam told me in a hushed voice as he grinned at Mason while settling in his seat.

"Hi Evelyn," Mason greeted me with a warm and... shy smile? I guess we never got as close so he'd be a little reserved. "How have you been?"

I'm starting to sweat like a warm donkey, but other than that, good.