Chapter 19- Dead

Chapter 19

February 16th

Joey’s POV

Shane’s lips were full and hot on mine. Even though my back burned from the wounds, I kissed him like nothing was bothering me. I don’t know why, because he was engaged to Lisa. He wasn't even gay. I pulled back suddenly, wondering why this was happening to me.

“Shane... Lisa? You’re engaged... To a woman.” I told him. He shook his head.

“WAS engaged. Lisa... She set this up. Your kidnapping. She was part of it. As soon as I found out, I broke up with her and came straight here. Speaking of which, we gotta get back home before Sawyer gets here. He probably knows by now... It was strange that this place was left completely unguarded. It just doesn't seem right.”

“Yeah. Let’s go.” I stood. My legs were too weak though, and I collapsed onto Shane, knocking him down.

“Oh my god. Joey, you need a hospital. Now. I’ll carry you.” Shane paled at the sight of me toppling. I allowed him to pick me up, and we started up the stairs.

I could tell that Shane was having trouble carrying me. He grunted with effort on every step. Eventually we reached the top of the stairs. When we arrived outside, I expected it to be sunshine and daylight, but instead the sky twinkled with bright stars. It was a full moon. Shane stood me up once we reached his truck, and I leaned against it. Just as we we about to get in, I heard a voice drift out of the darkness.

“You really thought it would be that easy to escape? You’re a foolish man, Shane. And Joey! I thought highly of you!” Sawyer stepped into a patch of bright moonlight. Something metal glinted in his hand.

“Sawyer!” I gasped.

“Joey, I really wish I didn't have to do this... Sorry.” He apologized, and held up the metal thing in his left hand. I saw that it was the same handgun that Sven had knocked me out with.

With a resounding “BANG!”, the gun went off. Shane collapsed on the ground next to my feet, a small red hole in his forehead. His mouth was still open in a cry of astonishment, eyes wide but glassy.