Chapter 21- Forgiveness

Chapter 21

February 15th

Joey’s POV

I sat up, blinking my eyes to clear the sleepy haze from them. From down the hall, I could hear someone knocking on the door.

"Luke!" I remembered with a start. I checked the clock. It was 4:40.

"Oops, Luke must have been here for a while now... I told him to come over around 4:30." I thought, drearily getting up.

"Man, that was one wacky dream... So glad it isn't real." I thought as I walked down the hall to answer the door.

I pulled open the door, expecting to see Luke’s familiar face, but instead I was greeted by Sawyer’s pleading eyes.

“Sawyer... What are you doing here?” I asked him, surprised to see him yet mad at him at the same time.

“I... Look, Joey, I’m sorry. I realize that I overreacted, and I probably hurt your feelings a lot. I’m really sorry. Can you forgive me?” Sawyer reached up with his bandaged hand to scratch the back of his neck, only to remember that it was bandaged and he couldn't exactly scratch.

“Yeah, of course. I guess I might have been a little bit blunt on letting you down... I’m sorry for that.” I apologized.

“It’s alright. Are we cool?” He asked.

“Yes!” I grinned at him, happy to have him back.

He beamed back, opening his arms for a friendly hug. I allowed myself to be wrapped in his strong arms. I had to admit, he was comforting.

“I think Luke is coming over soon, but do you want to come in for a bit?” I asked.

“Yeah, sure. Why not?” Sawyer responded. I stepped back to let him pass and he walked in.

“Do you want anything to drink?” I inquired.

“Do you have anything strong, like vodka or something? Medicinal purposes, you know.” He questioned. I checked the liquor cabinet.

“Yeah, we have vodka.” I found the clear bottle of alcohol and poured some into two small glasses. My phone buzzed in my pocket, and I pulled it out to see it was a text from Luke.

“Change in plans, turns out I can’t make it. Tomorrow maybe?” It read. I responded with a “Ya, ok”. Putting my phone back into my pocket, I grabbed the glasses and the bottle of vodka and took them over to the couch, where Sawyer had settled himself, and set the cups and bottle on the table. Sawyer immediately grabbed his glass and downed it.

“Ahhh. That’s the stuff.” He said, setting his glass down on the table. “This hand hurts like hell...”

“Yeah, I bet. I feel like it’s my fault that happened to you, so when the bill from the doctor’s comes, send it to me and I’ll cover it. It’s the least I can do for you.”

“Wow, are you sure, Joey?” Sawyer’s eyes widened.

“Definitely.”

“Thanks, man!” Sawyer grinned.

“Sure. Hey, can I share something? I need to get it out.” I asked.

“Yeah, share.” Sawyer replied, sitting up straighter.

“I had this crazy dream just now...”

An hour later, my dream was spilled, and Sawyer stared at me, shocked.

“I would never do anything like that to anyone, especially you!” He exclaimed.

“Yeah, I know. The dream was just so vivid though! So real...” I trailed off.

“I’m glad you didn’t kill me in real life!” Sawyer joked. I laughed with him. “Now that we are cool again, can you move back in? It’s lonely with just Hitch.”

“Yeah, I will. You do realize it’s only been like half a day, right?”

“Thanks, bro. Yes, I know. But have you ever lived with just a dog? It gets lonely and boring!”

“I guess... Haha.” I laughed. “I better tell Shane that I’m moving back in with you...” I said, pulling out my phone. I opened my texts with Shane and typed out a new message.

“Sawyer and I made up, I’m gonna move back in with him. Thank you so much for taking me in for this one day. You’re a great friend, Shane.”