Chapter 8- Ouch!

Chapter 8

February 14th

Joey’s POV

“Sawyer, I’m so so sorry. I don't know why I only like you as a friend, you’re a really great friend though. I don’t want our friendship to change over something this small, I really need you in my life as a friend!” I really wished that I liked him, but I just didn’t feel a spark as I did with Shane. Sawyer’s face began to turn pink; I could tell he was getting mad.

“If you wanted to keep me as a friend, then why not just have said you were straight when I told you I liked you?!?!?!?!?!” I could tell he was struggling to control his anger.

“I don't know! I want to be honest with you, you’re one of my best friends!!” I wished that I hadn’t said anything. I felt bad, so bad. I hated to make Sawyer angry.

“Sometimes, Joey, you need to think of the bigger picture and the consequences of the things you say. I’m sorry, but I’m leaving. Get a taxi.”

He slammed a 50 dollar bill on the table angrily.

“Dinner’s on me.” He turned on his heels and stalked out of the restaurant. I sighed. If only I hadn’t said anything... None of this would have happened in the first place. "I hate my big mouth!" I thought

I didn’t want to spend Sawyer’s money, so I pocketed the $50 bill from Sawyer to give back to him later. Then I pulled out my phone to call a friend to come pick me up. I looked through my contacts, wondering who to call.

"Maybe Kalel can pick me up... I’m not too far from her house..." I  thought. I dialed her number. It rang three times before she picked up.

“Hello?” She answered.

“Hey, Kalel! It’s Joey. I’m stuck at the Steak N’ Shake near your house... Are you able to pick me up?”

“Well, actually, I’m on a date with Anthony... It is Valentine’s Day after all... You have no date?” She asked.

“Well... I kinda did... Until he stormed off... Leaving me stranded at a restaurant.” I confessed.

“HE?!?!?!?!!?” Kalel sounded majorly surprised.

“Haha, yeah, I kinda went out with Sawyer for Valentines day... Long story, actually. Well, I better go. I need to call other people cause I need a ride home... Bye! Have fun with Anthony!” I hung up.

I called 6 more people, all of them out on dates. Finally, all who were left were Shane, Meghan, or Lisa. I called Meghan and Lisa, but neither of them picked up. As much as I didn’t want to, I dialed Shane’s number. He picked up on the first ring.

“Shane! Can you pick me up? I’m stuck!” I let out in a panicked breath.

“Yeah, where?”

“The Steak N’ Shake near Kalel’s house.”

“Ok, cool. Be there in 20.”

“Thank god! See you then Shane!” I hung up.  

The food came, and rather than staying and eating, I put our untouched food into to-go boxes to take back to Sawyer. Leaving a $5 tip on the table, I went outside with the food to wait for Shane. When I got out there, I heard crying. "No, not crying, sobbing." I went around the side of the building to find the source of the sobbing. There, sitting hunched against the brick wall and cradling his right hand, was Sawyer.    

“Sawyer!!! Are you OK?” I ran up to him and crouched next to him. “What happened?”

“Vic- Vic- Victoria... Someone sto-stole her... I gave you my money... And my hand is bro-broken. I punched the wa-wall. It shatt-shattered my knuckles.” Sawyer said, trying to calm down.

“Here, I saved your money. Shane is coming to pick me up. He will be more than happy to take you too.” I put my hand on his shoulder and rubbed it. He shrugged it off rudely.

“Don’t touch me. You’re a dick. I can handle this myself. Go away!”He shoved me with his uninjured hand.

“Fine, whatever. Here’s your burger, and here’s your money. Have fun. I’m moving out.” I decided in a split second that for now, I couldn’t be around Sawyer. He would only become more heartbroken and because of that, more of a douchebag. No matter how much I had tried, I just couldn’t think of Sawyer that way. He was and always had been my best friend, but nothing more.

I got up, leaving the money and Sawyer’s burger on the ground. My phone buzzed, and I looked at the text from Shane.

“I’ll be there in ten, just got off the freeway. Be ready. -Shane” The text read.

“Cool, see you then.” I replied.

I decided to use the bathroom inside the restaurant while I waited for Shane. After I was done, I called the police and reported Sawyer’s missing car, then I called a taxi for him. I gave the taxi service a description of Sawyer and a short, less intimate version of the situation, telling them that he got his car stolen and needed a taxi, and even if he says he doesn’t need the taxi to take him to the nearest hospital, to take him anyways because he broke his hand. The taxi driver agreed and told me he would be there to pick up Sawyer in about 15 minutes. I thanked him and hung up. Just as I sat down on a bench outside Steak N’ Shake, Shane pulled into a parking spot in the front of the restaurant in his truck. I stood and smiled at him. He got out of the truck.

“Hey Joey!” he greeted me, then hugged me.

“Hi. One second, I’ll be right back... I have to... Check on someone.” I said to him, then turned and went back to where I had last saw Sawyer. Shane followed me. Sawyer was still there in the same crouched position, though his tears had lessened.

“Sawyer, I wanted to let you know that I called a taxi to take you to the hospital for your hand, and I also called the police and reported Victoria missing. I’m going with Shane back to the apartment to grab my stuff... I’ll be back tomorrow for the rest of it. Go get your hand wrapped at the hospital or whatever.” I stood and turned to leave. Just before I rounded the corner, I heard Sawyer’s voice.

“Joey... I’m sorry. Thank you... For everything. I hope you change your mind about moving...” He said, sniffling. I turned to see that Sawyer had raised his head and he looked at me with big blue-green, slightly red eyes.

“Maybe... I don't know. I have to think. Maybe, later on. Not now, though. Goodbye, Sawyer. Take care.” I turned and went to Shane’s car with Shane, leaving Sawyer sitting on the ground wounded.