Chapter 17- Torture

Chapter 17

February 15th

Joey’s POV

Sven had dragged me back down the stairs to my cell again. This time, I was shackled to the wall by my wrists, and the lantern Sawyer had left was gone. I my forehead against the wall I faced over and over until my head pounded for thinking my escape plan would ever work. Sure, I could get out of the cell fine, but where would I have gone from there? I was in Oregon countryside without a town in sight! It would never work, and now I’d be stuck here forever.

About three or four hours after Sven knocked me out with the gun and dragged me back to my cell, (I wasn't sure exactly how long, I could have been unconscious for any number of hours, but I guessed about three or four) someone dragged open the heavy wood door. Struggling but succeeding to look over my shoulder, (as I faced the wall) I saw another handheld lantern. The warm light illuminated Sven’s cruel face. An evil smirk stretched across his thin lips, and a curled whip hung from his belt loop. I felt fear slithering into me, consuming the small bit of happiness I had retained, despite my current situation.

“So, you are awake, I see... You won’t be for long.” Sven addressed me, laughing cruelly.

“Wha- What are you going... What are you going to do to- to me?” I choked out, the lump in my throat preventing me from speaking clearly.

Rather than answering me, Sven unhooked the whip from his belt and unrolled it. Sometime during when I passed out, someone had taken off my shirt and replaced my jeans with thin, loose pants made of cotton. He eyeballed my bare back before drawing back the whip. With a loud crack, he let the tongue of the whip fly forward, striking my back once, twice, three times. I could not believe the pain! I screamed, a guttural, feral sound. Sven laughed.

"The bastard is enjoying this!" I thought, outraged.

Leaning my forehead against the cool stone wall, I gritted my teeth and tensed my muscles against the fourth blow. I would not give Sven the satisfaction of knowing how much the whip hurt against my sensitive back. Despite my attempts at resistance, another scream escaped me, followed by a loud groan. He whipped me over and over again, each blow hurting more than the last. I lost count after 23. At what was probably around 40 or so, My vision began to swim, white spots dancing in front of my eyes. At this point, I couldn’t feel my back anymore.

"All the nerves are probably dead by now..." I mused. The thought raised a bubble of hysterical laughter, and as hard as I tried, I began to cackle. My body shook. Sven stopped hitting me.

“What are you laughing about, asshole?” He snarled.

“I- I- Dead nerves!” I choked out, gasping for breath.

“What?” Sven asked, obviously confused.

I calmed down long enough to explain to him.

“The... the nerves in my back! They’re- They’re dead!” I began laughing. Sven pulled out his walkie-talkie.

“Boss...? Joey... He’s laughing hysterically... After me whipping him 45 times... What do I do? Should I keep hitting him?” Sven asked into the mouthpiece.

“What’s he laughing about?” Came Sawyer’s voice, crackling through the speaker on the walkie-talkie.

“Dead... Nerves.”

“Oh dear... He’s getting a bit loopy. Let him rest.” Sawyer instructed.

Sven complied, wrapping the whip back into a circle and tying it back to his belt loop.

“I’ll be seeing you soon...” Sven whispered in my ear as he left. After a while, feeling began to return to my back. The pain was excruciating, and just when I felt like I couldn’t take it, I passed out.