Chapter 18- Rescue

Chapter 18

February 15th

Shane’s POV

It was getting late. I drove as fast as I could. The sun settled on the skyline in front of me, turning the world a warm, soft orange. It had been about three hours since I had found out that Lisa had assisted in Joey’s kidnapping. It would take me ages to get to Oregon... 10 more hours to be exact. Who knows what could happen to Joey in that time... Sawyer could get mean, especially if he decided to get drunk. Even without being intoxicated he wasn’t the nicest person.

Needless to say, at this point I had realized that Lisa wasn't the right person for me. I didn’t know if Joey was either, but he was certainly my best friend. I needed to save him. If I didn’t, then who would? No one else knew about Joey getting kidnapped.

I was lucky and never hit traffic. It was hours past dark by the time I left California. I sped, hoping no cops were around, cause at the speed I was going, I could get my license taken away. I was going just over 95, as fast as my truck could safely take me. With the speed that I was going, I cut my estimated time of arrival down by three and a half hours.

I got there around 1 AM. With my bright headlights on, I looked around the ranch that Lisa’s address had taken me to.

"An old army base.... Probably an old stone bunker of some sort." I thought to myself.

I looked and drove and looked some more. It took me half an hour just to find the bunker. When I did find it though, I parked my truck, grabbed my phone and flashlight, and went to go find Joey. On a second thought, I dialed 911 and positioned my finger over the call button. Shining my flashlight around, I saw the entrance to the small stone structure. I snuck around the doorway, opening the large, slightly rusted metal door. It creaked loudly, making me flinch.

The door opened onto a long hallway. I carefully walked in, waving my flashlight back and forth. At the end of the hallway was a long staircase. I descended, looking around. At the bottom of the staircase was a large, thick wooden door. Hanging on a nail next to the door was a large brass key. I took the key. It fit into the lock, and the door creaked open. I lifted my beam of light, and it fell on a figure slumped  against the wall, chained by his wrists. His shirt was off, revealing long, deep gashes covering every inch of skin on his back. I rushed over to him.

"JOEY!" I realized with a jolt. The same brass key from the door fit into the keyhole on the shackles chaining him to the wall. I undid them, and Joey collapsed limply into my arms, His head lolled back, showing that he was unconscious. I tapped his cheek, then slapped him when he didn't respond. His eyes snapped open and he struggled to get away from me.

“Don't hurt me, please!” Joey begged, cowering at my feet.

“Joey, Joey! It’s me, Shane! I’m here to help you. Calm down.” I said, kneeling next to him.

“Shane...? Really?” He looked at me in disbelief. I shined the flashlight onto my face, proving to him that I was who I claimed to be.

“Really.” I pulled him back towards me. He embraced me, weeping onto my shoulder.

“Shane... They hurt me so badly. Thank you for coming. Get me out of here, please. Is my back bad?” He asked.

“Yeah. You need the hospital, and soon. You could get infected.” I told him.

“Ok. Let’s go. I can't feel it though...” I looked into Joey’s blue-green eyes. He stared back at me.

“Shane...” He breathed, and leaned in towards me. I leaned closer, and our lips met.