Chapter 20

Sorry it's taken so long guys. All the people we asked to write the chapter couldn't do it, so I'm going to write this as a fill in.  -- Cae 

NATTIE'S POV. 

The day was getting worse, my fingers curled against the blanket and my stomach roared, the overwhelming urge to feed was getting stronger, but something was going on in town and I simply couldn't risk getting caught. There was no one to feed on nearby that wouldn't raises a more suspicious cloud over me. I swallowed and took another swig of vodka, the only thing that could halt my hunger momentarily.

I clicked the TV on and shoved myself under the blanket further. That's when the doorbell rung, I shot up. Eyes scanning the room for anything suspicious that may give me away, but it just looked like a teenager's trashed house. I let myself smile, then swatted it away with a gentle slap to my left cheek. I brought the vodka bottle with me as I dragged myself to the door. 

Outside, I could see three officers all in uniform and I started to panic again. I took another sip of vodka, calmed myself and opened the door.

"How can I help you? Officers?" 

"Nathaniel, we need to speak to you indoors, may we come in?" 

"Yeah, I guess." I said, taking another sip. 

"Are you old enough to drink that?" 

I gave him a dull look, when inside I was shouting for them to get out of my house! 

"I'm old enough for my parents to ditch me, might as well drink vodka. Is that was this is about? Last time I heard from my mum she was in Florida, is she OK? Is dad OK?" 

They exchanged looks as I sold the story. One of the taller cockier ones wrote something down on his sheet of paper. I sat at the table and glanced up at them. 

"Your family is fine, Nathaniel, we have reason to suspect that you are close to the recent female murders." 

"WHAT!" I shot up, "me, I didn't do anything! They were my friends! I dated some of them, why the hell would I kill them! Holy shit, is this a joke? Are there cameras or something going to come in and tell me I've been Punk'd or something?" 

"No, sir." 

"Why the hell would you think I did something?" 

"You've dated all the victims." 

"Only briefly!" I screamed, starting to actually show my panic, "I can't believe it, I didn't do it!" 

"Where were you on the 23rd, 7pm?" 

"I don't remember! I can't even remember the last time I ate!" 

They raised their eyebrows, "And what exactly do you eat, Nathaniel." Their eyes grew hard and I leaned back. I stepped back on one foot and considered killing them all right there, but I just kept my voice trembling and my eyes innocent. 

"Are you insane?" 

"Answer the question."

"I eat food! I drink vodka!" I said pointing to the bottle which now sat on the table innocently, "Seriously! Check my fridge! Why are you so interested in what I eat? Oh, do you think I'm some cannibal or something?" 

"Check the fridge," An officer said, pointing to the taller one, they opened the fridge and saw my array of junk food and leftovers shoved in there. Thank god I'd stoked it up for emergencies. 

"That'll be all, Nathaniel." The officer said, nodding his head and walking to the door, "We will be returning with more questions. Don't get into any more trouble, you hear?" Then they disappeared out the door, and keeping the act going I returned to my bedroom shaking and ran hands threw my hair, in case they were watching from the window. I picked up the phone and dialed my pathetic jock friend who picked up on the first ring. If they were hunters, for sure they would be listening in on the phone lines, and they would've put a bug in my home. I almost swore -- I'd have to be more careful, and act like a normal kid. Eating drinking, swearing constantly and never commenting about how hungry for a teenage girl's soul I was.