Chapter 6

A cold breeze crept across my bare feet. I opened my tightly shut eyes and took in my alien surroundings. Like the hunter I was, my eyes raked over the dark alleyway, finding the weak spot, sorting out the escape routes and pin-pointing the location where best place for defence would be. 

Droplets of water fell to the ground in an irritating noise that seemed to carry on forever in the confined space. I lifted my face to the sky, feeling the water trickle down my cheeks and run across my nose. 

I tried to remember what my purpose was in this place but nothing came to me. However desperately I searched through the images in my head. After failing to remember why I was here, I attempted to recall how I was here. 

Nothing. 

A shiver ran down my spine. It was the feeling of being so unprotected and not being able to remember anything that freaked me out. 

I saw a movement coming from my left side. I twisted my body around and planted my legs slightly apart, giving me a better defensive position if anyone were to attack. 

“Shae…” A whisper floated through the darkness.

“What do you want?” I shouted back in the direction of where I thought the voice would be. 

“You…” The voice was low and husky. I got the impression that whatever it was out there was masking its voice in an attempt to confuse me. 

The voice came from a behind me now and I spun around, trying to catch a glimpse of who was tormenting me. 

“Leave me alone!” I yelled viciously into the wind. Chills were running up from my ankles, through my shins and to my knees. 

I reached down to my boot for my knife that I carried everywhere. I was already thinking ahead to my attack. 

The knife wasn’t there. 

 I frantically searched my other but my grasping fingers could not find the familiar shape and texture of the hilt of my knife. 

My heart beat quickened, and I began to prepare myself for a fist fight. 

‘My favourite,’ I thought grimly to myself. My hands curled into fists and I lifted my hands up to protect my body from any serious harm. 

A figure stepped into my line of vision. I couldn’t see the face; it was obscured from my line of vision by a black hoodie except for the fine set of the mouth which was lit up in the moonlight casting shadows down into the alleyway.

Very mysterious…

Well, I was not in the mood for games. I felt like stomping my foot and screaming, but I knew that I couldn’t let that happen. 

Self-control, Shae….

In one fluid movement while my concentration was astray, the ‘thing’ had me pinned against a wall. Thrusting up with my knee I landed a painful blow to the groin area on my assailant. 

‘It’ didn’t even wince. I stared in horror as it leaned even closer to me and slowly parted its lips in a cruel smile. 

Slowly by slowly, inch by inch, the thing moved even closer to me. All I could look at where the red lips that hovered over mine. 

I gulped and thrashed out with all of my might as the lips clamped over mine. I could feel the ‘thing’ sucking the strength from my body and draining the energy from my soul. 

My legs turned to jelly and no matter how hard I pushed and fought, I felt myself slipping away…

*******

I sat up straight and lashed out with my fist. My hand sent cracks running up the brick wall, making dust fly up my nose and cover my knuckles. I leant back and clutched my hand; it was starting to throb with pain. 

I breathed deeply and calmed my frantic heart beat. Something wet ran down the side of my face. 

Sweat. 

I could feel it gathering up my back as well. Shivering, I jumped from my bed and staggered to the bathroom. Glancing at myself in the mirror, I saw my deathly pale face staring back at me. My hair was hanging limply down my shoulders. 

Truth to be told, I looked disgusting. 

“Damn girl!” I spoke out loud to myself, “You look awful!” 

I knew that it wouldn’t take long for me to regain my usual radiance. I rolled my eyes heavenward and hoped that it wouldn’t take too long. 

I had school today. Even though I seriously felt like ditching, I knew that my job was important. Or so I kept telling myself.

Jumping into and out of the shower in double quick time I threw on some clothes and headed out the back door towards my car. And headed off to school. 

School….Hell more like. 

But I had to endure it for the innocent girls that I needed to protect. And of course, there was the fact that killing soul-suckers was my own personal favourite hobby. 

I swung into the car park and parked neatly across two spaces. Just because I could. 

Opening my car door and slipping on my sun glasses at the same time, I stepped out from the confines of my car and into the sunlight. 

I received a few odd looks from the students but after sending a few glares their way, no one bothered me. 

“Hey gorgeous!” 

Dammit! 

I ignored it and carried on walking towards the school doors. I didn’t need this. Not so early in the morning.

“C’mon babe!” I felt something hit my backside and realised that I had just been slapped. 

Not cool. 

I spun around and grabbed the guy’s shirt collar. He didn’t even blink, he must have thought I was joking. 

He was in for a surprise. 

“Don’t touch me!” I hissed at him. He smirked and pulled away from me.

“The names Nathaniel. And you are?” He smiled flirtatiously at me and slightly parted his lips. 

Last night’s dream flooded back to me. All I could see was the dark red lips, with the face covered by a black hoodie. 

For god’s sake Shae! Just because he’s a jerk does not mean that he wants to suck my soul! I told myself while looking up the guy. 

I took in his short floppy black hair, teamed with his green eyes and pegged him off as a high school player. 

I wonder where his faithful fans are? 

I didn’t have time to deal with this. I needed to be inside the school and in class. Not out here wasting time with some random dude. 

“Oh! So you’re ignoring me, are you?” He taunted me as I started walking away from him. “Just remember what you’re missing, Babe!” 

Without looking back I flipped my hair back over my shoulder and reached stuffed my hands into my pocket. 

“Remember the name!” He was still trying his luck on me. Like it was ever going to happen. 

My job was much too important for anything like that to get in the way. 

Sometimes I think I need a vacation.