xii | Rumorous Tricks

Somebody decided to cause a lot of mischief two days later.

Kai went to pick up a video game controller. The sound of whistling was heard in the hallway.

"Hey, Kai!" Lloyd called with a little wave. "Saw Cole beat your high score. You should've seen it! It was pretty spectacular."

"Uh, you must be talking about Sitar Legend. This is Fist to Face II." The ninja in red wore a cocky grin. "No one beats me on my game."

"Huh, could be wrong. See you!" With those final words, Lloyd left.

When Kai went to check the high score, the color black was plastered on all five squares.

"The kid was right! ... Cole!"

Said ninja was in the dining room, mixing a broth with a large spoon. "Mm, mm." He seemed very pleased. "Violetberry soup, my culinary achievement. If the recipe is not followed exactly—"

However, when he tasted a drop, it was horrendous. He didn't dare swallow.

"By the way!" Lloyd's voice rang out from a few feet away. "I saw Jay spice things up. I told him not to, but he said your cooking could use it. Bye, Cole!" He left as quickly as he entered.

Cole spat out the soup. "Jay!"

This ninja was wearing training armor on deck, excited to try out a new creation. He had put pieces together for a dummy, and the intensity it would fight him at depended on the level he set the controller.

"Let's ease our way into this. How about level two, shall we?" However, when he tried pressing a button, a few sparks of electricity came out and nothing else.

"Hey, Jay!" Lloyd greeted from the small set of stairs. "I saw Zane try to repair the sparring bot earlier. Isn't that your expertise? Later, bro!"

"Wait, what?" Jay desperately hit the controller in hopes of getting it to do something.

And it did, alright. Slowly, it slid toward him while rapidly spinning its very sharp arms.

"No, no! Zane!"

Still in his pajamas, Zane had his hands on the clean laundry basket. He noticed a whistling Lloyd walking over and smiled. "Hello, Lloyd. What brings you up here this fine morning?"

"Kai wanted me to pick up his ninja suit," he replied. "He said he threw it in with your whites." He dug his hand through the basket, picking up a red garment. "Here it is! Thanks." And he left the scene.

Zane's smile started to drop. Mixing red and white laundry?

He picked up what he hoped would be his white suit. Unfortunately, it was now pink.

If he could, he'd start a war over this.

Scarlett hummed as she screwed a nail in the engine of Cole's car. A bit of sweat trailed down the side of her forehead; she had been working on the issue for over an hour now outside the Bounty.

"Okay! I think he should be good to go," she mumbled with a smile.

Lloyd popped his head over the vehicle. "Scarlett?"