vi | New Arrangements

The walk through the passage in the mountain was long—and a bit excruciating for the two teens in the back that held each other up—but eventually, Zane stopped and turned around to face the others.

"I can't explain it..." he said with a wide smile. "But I feel a strange connection with the falcon. I think he's trying to help show us the path we need to take."

It took just a few more steps for him to finally reveal what was in the far distance; a large ship in the sand with huge, white sails. Its most prominent feature was the maroon-colored dragon head.

Zane held his arm out, introducing the treasure to them. "Our new home."

Everyone behind him gasped. The sight was truly one to behold.

"Wow!"

"My goodness..."

"So cool!"

"That's amazing!"

Despite also being astonished, Jay took one whiff of the air and was mesmerized by something else completely. "Do I smell pie?"

Zane turned around, giving him a nod; his warm expression never once faltered. "Cobbler berry. Oh, and I made myrtle berry, and apple, and—"

He was cut off by the gasps, again, of the others. They were all very, very excited.

"I'm stoked... but we have to walk all the way over there?" Nya asked with a sheepish smile. The ship was still quite a distance away.

Cole grinned. "Pie waits for nobody, and I'm a gentleman." Without warning, he quite literally swept both Nya and Scarlett of their feet, swinging them over each one of his shoulders.

"Oww, my liver!"

"Let me go, you oaf!"

Kai glanced over at Cole. "Hey, you heard my sister."

"Okay, okay! Don't be upset that you're the last one to get to there though."

Instead of continuing to argue, Nya let her body fall limp on his left shoulder. "You know what? Just this once is alright."

"I don't care what you do, just don't bust my intestine next..." Scarlett nervously smiled, placing her hand on his back out of concern she'd fall off.

Before either knew it, he was running toward the ship, cheering. Nya and Scarlett soon found themselves laughing.

"Hey, watch your hands!" Kai pointed a finger at him, running just a few steps behind.

"Wait, wait for me!" Jay called out to the two, sprinting as fast as he could to catch up.

Zane and Wu stayed back for a few moments. They chuckled at their immature behavior.

The sensei placed a hand on his pupil's shoulder. "I'm proud of you, Zane. One day, I promise, we will find your family."

Zane stared out at his teammates with a smile that reached his eyes; he truly felt at home. "But I've already found them."