xxxvii | Unanticipated Hero

The Devourer continued to cause chaos in Ninjago. It chewed and swallowed every possible thing, tearing down many buildings. In just minutes, it had grown to a devastating size.

People screamed in horror, either running or driving off in cars in an attempt to escape any chance they could. But escape to where?

Lloyd was the first to turn his head and find Lord Garmadon standing a few yards away from the group huddling the fallen dragon.

"Dad... you came back!"

But he was in no mood to chat. "Give me the weapons. I am the only one who can handle the power of all four weapons at once. It's the only thing that'll defeat the Devourer!"

Jay almost laughed. "Uh, I thought we were supposed to do everything in our power not to let him possess the weapons."

Zane checked the open hatch in his wrist. "I've ran every other scenario through my servers... it appears to be the only way."

The others looked conflicted. But with the citizens running for their lives, what other choice did they have?

Scarlett deeply frowned. "Even Zane says it's the only way. This is the only viable solution we've had so far. And the only one that could work."

"Give me the weapons," Garmadon insisted.

Kai closed his eyes. The prophecy of the Dark Lord wielding all of the Golden Weapons at once itched at him.

But the current threat was far more dangerous at the moment. Garmadon was a problem for the near future.

"Only I can destroy it. Or prepare to watch—!"

Annoyed, Kai cut him off by tossing to him his sword. "Quit your fucking yammering and just do it."

The former grinned as he gave him instructions. "When you have a chance to make the blow, it has a weak spot near his forehead."

After the other two did so, Jay was the last to hand him his fated weapon. "Uh, I don't think this needs to be said, but we're gonna need these back."

The way Garmadon wickedly chuckled made them immediately regret their decision.

"I'll do my part," he began, "you just make sure he stays in one spot."

With another louder cackle, he ran off.

Jay was stressed. "Stays in one spot? Stays in one spot? How are we supposed to do that!?"

But Kai already had a plan up his sleeve. "Don't forget... we're ninja."

¤ ¤

The plan was set in motion right away.

Fearing for her life, Scarlett was the first unit out. Right as the Devourer's head turned the corner, she was in the middle of the road.

Trembling, she swallowed a hard gulp. "May god grant me the strength to not piss my fucking pants."

The teen then shouted, "You don't want a piece of this, motherfucker!"

As if knowing what that meant, the serpent growled and slowly slithered toward her. She had taken the first bait.

Scarlett began running down the road. The only things residing were empty cars and already demolished edifices.

She turned a corner. Knowing it followed her, she continued on. A bunch of abandoned cars blocked her way, making her freeze. She was nowhere near as athletic as the others yet.

But practically feeling the venomous breath of the serpent on her back, she pushed all worries aside and just hopped on one. It was a horrible sight, but at least she made it to the roof and rolled over.