Chapter 2

Race

3rd Pov. Amalla

Amalla sat in her apartment quietly as she read a book. She had her clothes laying out as she waited for the right time. A buzzing sound erupted through the room, pulled her from her trance.

'Hey, 8th and boulevard. ' ~ Brian

He texted on her flip phone, and her head lifted to glance at a clock next to her. She stood, setting the book down and stepping into her small bedroom.
Amalla softly grasped her pants, lowering them to slide on under her short robe. Slowly zipping it up and grabbing her orange top. She slides her robe off, quickly putting her top on over her bare torso.

Another buzz sounds from her bed, her hand grabbing her phone and flicking it open.

'Come on, already.' ~ Brian

She rolled her eyes at his impatience and hurriedly slid on her boots and jacket. Grabbing her keys and sliding her thin wallet into her hip pocket, she descended her metal fire escape. Swiftly jumping off the second floor, escape and landing next to her bike on the street level.

h

Amalla glanced back, Brian's green eclipse pulling up next to her with a little rev to announce his arrival. She shakes her head and climbs onto her bike.

"I thought you'd be there already." She jokes to Brian, and he smiles at her.

"I wanted to give you a ride." He responds, and she rolls her eyes.

"I'll pass. But how about a race?" She jests and slips on her helmet. Starting the ignition and reving  the motorcycle to life.

"Come on then." Brian yells, and Amalla speeds past his car towards his earlier directions.
"Shit." He grumbles and shoots after her towards the meet-up.

Amalla swerves through traffic, swiping past different cars, as she keeps an eye at her mirrors. Brian speeds after her, and the motorcycle accelerates past more cars. She catches as Brian swept up behind her as she curves to the next street and sped on towards a crowding of people.

Rebuilt, polished, and boosted cars surrounded them as many flooded the street. Amalla curses under her breath as she sped into the street. She jerked forward, twisting her brake tightly. Her motorcycle moved forward off its back wheel and balanced on its front wheel.

Amalla steadied as she saw everyone staring at her. She shoved back and twisted the gas, the motorcycle riding forward and bouncing back to the ground. She slows and moves it to the park, grabbing the keys and stepping off towards Brian's car.

"Damn." Brian voices, and Amalla chuckled with her helmet on. He stands out from his car, groaning as he dug in his pocket.

"Come on." She gestures a hand for him to give her something, and Brian lays a small stack of money in her palm.
"You're welcome." He says, and she lightly hits his shoulder. Brian laughed, and Amalla reached for her helmet to lift off. She pulls it free and shakes her head. Her hair flying in the air, as she styled it quickly to her liking.

"So, are you racing?" She asks, and he nods, his eyes elsewhere around them. Men and women surrounding them, many dressed in tight clothing or something flashy.
"Yeah." He utters distracted, and Amalla smirks.
"Great." She comments and backs away from him. She steps back to her motorcycle and attaches her helmet to it.

"Hey." Amalla turned to look over her shoulder, the woman who served at the diner from earlier coming closer as she spoke.
"Hi." Amlla returns and moves to face her.
"Is that your boyfriend or something?" The woman questions, and Amalla tilts her head to see she gestured at Brian.

"Or something. Why are you interested?" She jokes, and the woman laughs.
"No, just wondering. I'm Mia." She says and holds out her hand.

"Amalla." She shared and shook Mia's hand.
"Nice to meet you. From the looks from it, it seems like you can race." Mia converses, and Amalla agreed.
"I can. It's just that I don't usually." Amalla states as she starts walking away. Mia keeps pace next to her as they speak.

"Is that your car?" Amalla inquires as she points to a red RX-7.

"No, that's my brother's." Mia confirms, and Amalla speaks up.
"Who's your brother?" She wonders, as Mia turned.

"Him, Dom." Mia points, as she gestured at the muscular bald man from earlier.

"Nice." Amalla adds, and she steps towards his car. Her eyes admire the body work, and she glances up to see Dom approach her.

"Busters' friend?" His deep voice rang out from behind her. Amalla turned slightly around and smirked.
"Nah. I'm not a buster." She corrects back, and Dom grins.

"How about Amalla?" She nods, and Dom agrees as he stands next to her.
"That works." Dom responds, and Amalla looks back to the red RX-7.

"Is it yours?" She asks rhetorically, and Dom follows her eye line.

"Yeah, rebuilt it not long ago." Amalla softly grazes the hood with her fingertips, teasing him slightly just for fun.

"It's beautiful." She replied, and Dom smirked behind her.

"Not as beautiful as you." Dom mutters quietly, hoping Amalla mossed his words. She smirks at the sentiment and plays it off, catching his eyes wandering over her backside as she turns.

"Are you racing?" Amalla questions, and Dom looks back from behind.
"I think your buster friend wants to." Dom voices, as they both glanced back at Brian.

"Probably. Well, I know he's my "friend". But I have a growing suspicion that he's gonna lose." Amalla voiced out as she touched his chest and sauntered towards Brian's car.

A.N. - Recently started to rewrite or just update these books. Mostly correcting grammar and the flow of the conversations.
[Revised: 2/26/24]