M.U.S.E Chapter 19

"Cara? Cara?" I heard called.

I was too tired to open my eyes. I fell back to sleep.

"She is non responsive," the doctor said. "He will need to be advised."

"Best you tell him," Andre replied.

"This is one phone call I am not looking forward to," the doctor replied.

I heard him sigh whilst he pressed the number.

"Hello," he said. "She is in a coma. I would like permission to carry out a CT scan to check for an Intracerebral haemorrhage.............. She needs a full neurological assessment................ I can't read the results like Martyn could have I'm not a neurologist........... She has had several seizures, if Andre hadn't helped her........ the prognosis is not good........... I know this is not high on your list of priorities but......."

I heard him sigh.

"Yes, I understand.......... do not resuscitate or attempt to preserve life," the doctor replied and sighed again in frustration. "What do we do with the body?" he asked. "I can't just walk into a crematorium and pop her in the furnace....."

"Donne-moi le téléphone, je lui parlerai," Andre said and took the phone. "Soyez raisonnable Jean, le médecin n'est pas un assassin à la location. Elle est votre femme. Votre caractère raisonnable. Si vous voulez qu'elle morts viennent tirer sur la fiche ou même déclencher. Ne laissez pas votre sale boulot aux autres."

He listened.

"Voulez-vous être si rapide pour traiter Aimee les mêmes? Elle est une muse maintenant aussi. Qui sait ce que les programmes sommeillent et avec un technicien morts, nous ne le saurons jamais," he replied. "Faire votre auto putain."

"What happened?" the doctor asked as the call ended abruptly.

"I just reminded him that she is his wife and Aimee is a muse too so who knows what programmes lay dormant in her. If he wants her dead he is to come and pull the trigger his fucking self," Andre spat the words out with disgust.

"What did he say?" the doctor asked.

"I heard him take the safety off his gun before agreeing to come end it," Andre replied.

"Poor girl," the doctor replied. "She never stood a chance," he said and I heard the emotion in his voice. "All she wanted was the freedom we all take for granted everyday," he said and I heard Andre pat him on the back for comfort. "I can't stand by and watch him put her down like a lame horse," he replied. "I've seen him kill people before but this is different. They were strangers. I know he cares about her to some degree."

"Not enough," Andre replied.

"She is just a sweet, innocent young lady who wants to be loved. All she wanted was a home and her daughter, was that too much to ask?" the doctor said. "She's just been through a traumatic birth. She was embarrassed, upset... muses don't get like that. She is different."

"I know doc but we can't save her now. He isn't going to let her suffer any more and he promised if her life was not her own and she couldn't control herself he would put her down. Carrying out a 'kill mission' which put the children in danger only confirms she is not free. She is a ticking time bomb and he can't have that around him or the children. They are his priority now and she would sacrifice herself for them in an instant. Could she live with herself if she had harmed them. No, she would be suicidal and muses are programmed to be self destructive if they don't follow procedure," Andre said.

"I just want to take her home and look after her," the doctor replied. "My job is preserve life not take it."

"He would find you and kill you both, you know that," Andre replied.