M.U.S.E Chapter 10

I couldn't sleep. My eyes closed but my mind didn't rest.

I lay in the bed trying to relax, squeezing my eyes closed tight to stop them from staring at the ceiling. Every time my mind stopped going over the time between leaving the house and Aimee going missing... I spent in tears. I kept it quiet and just let the tears fall.

I listened to the sound of the rain outside and hoped that my babies body wasn't dumped somewhere and getting all wet and cold... the image of her face down in a dirty ditch with mud and twigs all over her white socks, in her hair and on her new coat.... a shoe missing.... I felt the sick rising in my throat, I took a deep breath.

I got out of the bed and slipped on a jacket and pumps. I walked out of the apartment and retraced my steps again. The fresh air, wind and rain blowing the sick feeling away, I counted the steps, visualised the steps when Aimee had been holding my hand as she made us both skip to school because skipping makes people happy.

I decided that as I didn't have to wait in for John to come back any more I was free to go as I please and I wanted to follow where I would take a child if I took them from the school.

I stood at the school gates and took the route I suspected was taken. I would either want to get the kid in a car quick or I would walk with them casually so people wouldn't suspect anything. I would make the child giggle with excitement at the story I told them to get them to come with me.... I knew what story she was told if any. She was told her dad was waiting. She wouldn't go with anyone but the promise of seeing the love of her life, her daddy, that would throw everything I had ever taught her out of the window.

I continued to picture her laughing and skipping with excitement to either a car or a somewhere nearby. A hotel room where she could be moved later when it was dark and out of sight. Just looking like a parent carrying their sleeping child to the car after a long day.

I entered every hotel and possible place she could have been taken. I asked if anyone had stayed or was staying who had kids, even for a visit. I got some names and addresses by crying and saying my husband had left me and took my daughter and I thought he was having an affair. Either him or his lover could be running away with my daughter and the police won't help as he is the father. It worked a charm with every female receptionist.

I wished I was dog so I could follow her scent even though I knew the rain had washed it away and it was three days ago since she skipped down these streets.

I walked back to the school and stared at the building. I had always hated this building for some reason but it was the best school for a daughter like Aimee. Who it seem now took after her father and Uncle Gordon especially with her IQ.

I needed to get some things from the shop to feed John and Gordon so I walked to the store and picked up a basket. I filled it with random things as my mind ran over the last time I was here with Aimee and she got excited about making her father Rhubarb Pie or Crumble she wasn't sure which she was going to make as she like rubbing the mixture for the crumbs but also love rolling pastry. She was planning to make him soup too. And a main meal she hadn't decided on what is was going to be yet but it was going to be special for her daddy.

I paid for the items at the till and headed home. The house was quiet and both the men were intensely looking at documents on laptops. Neither looked up. I walked into the kitchen and put a pot of coffee on for them and the shopping away. I poured the coffee and placed the coffee pot in the middle of the table along with Sandwiches I made for them and the list of names I had got earlier before going to take a shower as I was frozen from the bad weather. Again the image of my daughter lying dead in a ditch flooded my mind. I forced it out with plans of where to take my search next as I showered.