M.U.S.E Chapter 20

"How are you feeling Cara?" Martyn asked as he shuffled about with his equipment.

It was the first time I had opened my eyes since shooting him and my first conscious moment since John nearly killed me.

I moaned as I tried to touch my head.

"Oh don't touch there please," he advised. "I had to operate and you have a few stitches. It's only minor don't worry. A bit like having a fall and splitting your head open. It will heal quickly."

I couldn't talk. My mouth wouldn't work.

"I know you can't talk. I can see what you are saying though on here so just think it and I will answer ok," he replied.

I'm sorry and I am glad I didn't kill you.... I thought as I became weepy.

"It's ok, that wasn't you. You had a interception in your programme. Some how a ghost file was activated and you had no control. I don't take it personally," he said. "Hazards of the job and I think physically being in my presence activated it. That is why I don't like Muse's as I know that my face will be a target in all their heads now since I left. Last time we only spoke through glass and via web cam so it wouldn't have activated. It's ok, I am not angry with you," he said as I wondered if he was.

"You're awake," John said appearing in the doorway.

I wondered if he was going to try to shoot me again.

No... I thought. I looked over at Martyn and he shrugged as though apologising for answering me in my mind.

I felt totally confused and disorientated as John pressed his lips to mine. "How are you feeling?" he asked. I couldn't answer.

He looked to Martyn who just frowned as he taped some keys.

"Are you feeling ok?" John asked again.

Chips.... I thought as my mind whirled like I was on a spinning chair.

"Wait she is confused. It might be the emotional response of the fear she felt at seeing you mixed with the affectionate way you greeted her."

"Fear?" John asked concerned.

"Yes, you held a pillow over her head and she remembers the weight of the gun against her temple..."

"WHAT? She knows that happened?" John asked.

"Yes. I am trying to compensate but she is fluxing all over the place," Martyn replied.

"I'll come back later. I don't want to hinder her progress. If you need me just call," John said.

"What does that mean?" Martyn asked.

"That I will be back later," John replied.

"No not you... Cara what are the seven aims you just thought of?" he asked.

I couldn't focus.

"She is blinking to often, trying to focus," Martyn said.

A few minutes later he tried again.

"Find something nice to think of. A recent memory," Martyn asked.

I tried but my head was hurting and I felt sick. I had a memory somewhere... oh god what was it again.... Erm.... Arggghhhh... how frustrating... it was on the tip of my tongue...

"What is she thinking now?" John asked.

"Custard.... Frog... Funny....," Martyn replied.

John laughed.

"Are you trying to remember puking trifle all over the French girl and finding it funny?" he asked me and was highly amused.

"Yes, yes she is and she finds it hilarious," Martyn replied. "Well done Cara," he said praising me. "Fear to humour, great jump in emotional control."