M.U.S.E Chapter 9

"John if you can hear me, come home," I said. "Please come home, I need you right now.... Come home."

The recording played on a loop in Aimee's room. As it had for the past three days.

I knew he spoke to her some how and by the process of elimination I figured if I played the recording at some point he would hear it.

I sat looking at everything I had in front of me analysing it over and over. I heard a sound on the stairs which wasn't the hobbled footsteps of Mary. I drew my gun and turned as the front door opened and John stood there looking shocked as I held the gun out shakily and nearly shot him.

I dropped the gun and I crumbled to my knees as the sight of him, tears falling as he ran to her room, turned off the recording and came out.

"Where is she?" he asked but he knew the answer.

"I don't know," I said breaking down into uncontrollable sobs. Finally saying it out loud to someone.

"Cara, where is my daughter?" he asked again.

I shook my head. "I went to pick her up from school.... And she wasn't there," I sobbed.

"When?" he asked.

"Three days ago," I answered.

"Did you call the police?" he asked.

"I can't," I said and covered my face as I cried. I had let my baby down. I couldn't call the police as I would be discovered and...

"Have you told anybody?" he asked.

I shook my head. "You," I said pointing at him.

Last time I had seen John was during our wonderful family Christmas. It was perfect. Aimee was so happy and she was planning for his next visit on the day she went missing.

John stood looking over the paper work. He flicked through it. Turned and left.

"Where you going?" I called after him.

"Stay there," he ordered.

I sat there waiting and waiting, as darkness came without me even realising.

"Cara," John called. "Cara, you need to go to sleep," he said.

"Did you find her?" I whispered.

"No," he whispered back.

"Ok," I said as that was what I was expecting. I turned the pages in front of me on the table I had draw the journey to school on a street map, pin pointing every step along the way. There had to be something....

"8:17.... 8:19.... 8:21.... Hello Mrs Oliver," I mumbled as I again retraced every moment of our journey to school that day with a shaky finger. "8:22..., remember milk.... 8:23 hurry up we'll be late... 8:24.... I'm going to make daddy a pie when he comes home... 8:25....."

John reached out clasping stopping my hand and interrupting my thought process... I would have to start again...8:17...

John moved the map. Underneath it was a photo of us all at Christmas taken by Mary. It was Aimee's favourite photo ever!

I looked at her beautiful little face so happy and smiling. What if she was scared, hurt, crying.... Dead...

"Someone is coming to help," he whispered to me. "He'll be here any minute."

"8:17....8:19.... 8:21....," I mumbled as I retraced the steps without a map.

John stood to answer the door as I continued.