M.U.S.E Chapter 4

I had never laughed so much as we had dinner. They were all great company and Cole was a dream. He held my hand in his lap under the table like the night before, we danced romantically as I lay my head against his shoulder.

"Kiss me," I whispered.

"No," he whispered back.

"It will look romantic," I said.

"This already does," he said and as the song finished he led me off the dance floor.

"Are you ok?" Maureen asked as I wore a pouty face.

"No," I said and sighed. "I'm tired, I think I'll head up for the night," I said.

I could feel Cole watching me as I pushed my chair out and he stood to help me.

"Goodnight everyone," I said. "You stay here," I said to Cole.

"No I'll..."

"Stay," I growled and glared at him.

"I'll just escort you to the room," he offered.

"I am not an invalid, stay here," I said and stormed off.

I raced towards the lift as my eye sight blurred and the pain in my head stung my eyes. I needed more pain killers... fast. I got into the lift and covered my eyes with my hands as the bright light hurt so bad my eyes watered. The pain sent shots up and down my jaw. I slid down the wall as the lift move and I felt sick. The doors opened and I crawled out on my hands and knees unable to open my eyes. I slumped to the floor breathless, all energy gone and unable to concentrate on anything but the searing pain.

"Oh shit," Cole said. I felt his hands pulling me up and then lifting me into his arms.

"Help me," I mumbled as my head slumped against his chest.

"Shhh I've got you," he said. "Get the door, turn the lights out and draw the curtains," he said to somebody. "Get them to send someone here immediately. I need her checked over it is jeopardising the mission," he said.

He placed me on the bed. I felt so sick.

"I'll get your pain killers," he whispered. I listened to him walk off as I felt the sick rise in my throat. I raced blindly to the bathroom. Everything I had just ate and drank came flying out of me like a rocket. I stayed there for a few minutes as I hugged the bowl and heard Cole on the phone.

"No, now!" he said and hung up.

I lay on the cold marble floor as I listened to him enter the bathroom. "Oh great," he said and sighed. Walking back out and closing the door behind him.

I had no idea how long I lay there sleeping before someone entered the room and started to take my pulse and flash a light in my eyes making me feel the pain again.

"Get her up on the bed," the voice said. "Get me the Agent."

A few minutes later I heard Coles voice.

"You wanted me Doc?" he said his voice full of annoyance.

"She's a muse right," the doctor said.

"Yep," Cole answered. "She has been all wrong from the start. Heavily sedated, inclination towards material possessions, aggressive sexual prowess with a smutty mouth. I was struggling to stay hard, it was such a turn off and now I know why, they didn't want us to be able to provide that cover story of newly weds. Then out of the blue she tried to poison me. Something inside her made her stop and although she couldn't speak to tell me it was poison her face did. A gem from the necklace she was obsessed with me getting for her and I could hardly say no in front of everyone. After that I was ordered to dispose of her but then it changed and I was ordered to keep her role in the cover story and continue the mission until tomorrow midday. If she is incapable of the mission, take her with you. I can't have a cabbage for a wife. I'll make something up just get her out of here," Cole said annoyed. "I just want to understand what went wrong so I can refuse a muse in the future."