Chapter 4

I was on my way to my bedroom when I heard heavy footsteps downstairs, with dragging footsteps.  It’s odd to encounter those kinds of footsteps when there’s no Michael in the house.  Curious, I went down to see what’s going on.  I peered a little first from the top of the staircase to make sure that there’s no burglar.  Looking around, I slowly crept towards the sound.  I heard the door of the den click.  I tiptoed and pressed my ear on the door.  I heard my mom insisting on something and my dad calmly explaining his point.

That’s why her reaction was unusual.  She was acting really weird and disappointed a while ago.  She wasn’t just acting.  She was serious about it and doesn’t want me to go.  She’s too paranoid.  I’m pretty sure that nothing’s going to go wrong in that trip.

I listened to their conversation once more behind the wooden doors.  I did my best not to move or to make any sounds.  I don't usually do this, but I’m having this feeling that something is wrong with my mother.  She never acted that way before.  It was unusually fake.  The den turned silent, so I tiptoed back to my bedroom and continued packing.  I called Maureen home and found the voice mail answering, so I dialed Tiffany’s number instead.

“Hello?” a high-pitched voice answered.

I winced as the voice pierced through my ear.  I think it's her sister.  “Hello, is Tiffany home?”

“Oh yes, She is. Hold on. I’ll call her.”

I heard footstep from the other line and voices shouting.

“Tiffany!!!! Phone!”

“Wait! I'm still eating this brownie!”

“Tiffany, just take the phone. I still have something to do.”

“Fooiiine. Just put it there.”

Tiffany is the kind of girl who really loves to eat.  She can eat a whole cake in just a few minutes.  I don’t know how she can scarf everything down.  If we have leftover food, she wouldn’t hesitate to take it.  There was one time when she ate almost six servings of katsudon.  One of those servings had more than a cup of rice.  The odd thing is she is even thinner than me.  I don’t even see her move around that much.  She hates gyms.

“Hello?” Tiffany answered like she still has a mouth full of brownies.

“Hello Tiff. I do believe that that brownie is very delicious, but I would really appreciate it if you swallow first. However, you need to tell me where you bought that brownie,” I said.

“Owww, okay. Weeeit a meeneeet!”  Wait a minute.

“There, I’m done. Actually, I baked those brownies. You want some? I can send them to you later. What's up?”

“Sure, send me some. Well… I’m here to send you a bad news. I wasn’t allowed to go with you guys,” I said sadly.

“What? Are you serious? I’m not sending you any brownies if that’s so. Didn't you use your acting skills?”

“I did, but they're my parents. Of course they would definitely know if I'm acting or not.”

“Bummer. That’s sad. I was already planning the trip with you. Are you sure that there's no other way that you can do to convince them?”

“Actually, there is. If you only knew how to differentiate the truth from the joke, you would already know that I’m using my acting skills on you,” I sighed and rolled my eyes as if she could see me do it.

“Why you pretty rascal! Never ever ever do that to me again! Ever!” she laughed.

“Tata, going to pack my things. Don’t forget to send me those brownies.”

“Okay, I won’t. A promise is a promise. I promised to send you some brownies. They’re actually chunky ones with lots of chocolate chips. Oh boy, why are you so excited?”

“Well, that’s because this will be the first time I’ll ever be allowed to go to these kinds of trips. I want to enjoy it to the fullest,” I explained.

“Okay, but I hope you won’t expect that much. You’ll probably get disappointed.”

“Don’t worry. I won’t,” I clicked the red button and turned to packing again.  I really hope I would do fine on the trip.  I don’t want my mother to think that I’m irresponsible and immature.  I want to prove myself that I’m already a grown adult who can do things by herself.

-Hallie Price, 18 years old