[Chapter 43]

Chapter 43

November 23, 2009

My grandmother's house was small. It wasn't much smaller than my house but you could tell the difference. She only had three bedrooms, which meant her living room was full of air mattresses and blankets.

Aunt Karen and her husband, my uncle, Jack, slept in the living room while the little kids got a room and Rachel and I got another room. My grandmother's kitchen and dining room were connected into one room.

Its three days before Thanksgiving, the day mom and Robert are supposed to show up. Aunt Karen has no idea who she's dating at the moment. Rachel actually seems to like the Twilight craze as well, she's not as bad as Kimi and I but she does like them. Boy is she in for a big surprise.

Last night Rachel kept me up because she was on her phone talking to someone. I brought my hand to my mouth catching the yawn as it came from my mouth. I was walking down the stairs still in my pajamas. It was seven forty five in the morning, the younger kids love to wake everyone up at the crack of dawn.

I could hear voices from the living room and shuffling. I walked around the stairs my eyes still very droopy. Aunt Karen was folding up blankets and Uncle Jack was putting up the air mattress.

Aunt Karen turned her head toward me and gave me a guilty smile, “Sorry about the kids. They wake up everyone. I can assume that Rachel kept you up as well? That girl and that damn phone are a huge problem. We are going to take the kids into town and get them some breakfast. That way if you want you can go back to bed honey.”

I smiled a sleepy smile, “I'll try but since I'm up I've done got hungry.”

She chuckled, “Yeah I kind of figured that. Mom is in the kitchen cooking some breakfast. I think she's cooking yours as well.”

I smile and look around the room and found Daphne sitting on the couch playing with a hair brush. I walk past her and rub her head hearing a giggle from her mouth. I yawn again as I walk into the kitchen hearing pans clunking against each other.

I find my grandmother standing in front of the stove cooking. She's dressed in a yellow robe with a pair of white house shoes on her feet. Her gray hair is up in all directions telling about the restless sleep she got last night.

I walked further into the room and her head turns. She grins at me but then her eyes take in my appearance. It's the second night that my sleep has been disturbed between Rachel and her siblings, the rings under my eyes are a new part of my complexion.

“Rachel and the kids?”

I give her a sarcastic smile, “Do really have to ask?”

She sighs and returns to the stove, “I have some waffles, eggs, and sausage here if you want any.”

At the mention of food my stomach growls.

“Well I guess that would be a hell yes I want some of that food.”

Grandma laughs and helps me fix my own plate. I take a seat at the big wooden table hearing running footsteps all over the house. I could just imagine mom's voice yelling about all the noise. I can assume that mom and Robert will be staying in a hotel for their stay.

Karen comes into the kitchen.

“Mom we are taking the kids out for breakfast. We need to go to the store to get some groceries for the food to cook. Are you going to start some of the food today?”

Grandma has taken a seat next to me at the table, “I was going to start on some of the deserts, and there are still quite a few that I need to fix.”