[Chapter 44]

Chapter 44

November 25, 2009

I was walking back downstairs fully dressed. The whole argument between Karen and mom had changed the atmosphere around the house. Rachel stayed in the room mostly away from her mom and Jack. Karen had tried explaining the situation to Rachel but she wasn't listening to a word she said. The girl wouldn't even listen to me, so mom had basically ruined thanksgiving.

It was the day before Thanksgiving and Karen and Momaw were cooking in the kitchen, the smells coming from the room would make anyone's stomach growl. I tried holding my breath when I went in there but it was hopeless.

I was dressed in a blue plaid color shirt, light blue jeans, a black jacket, and some blue and black converse.

I walked in the living room and to find all the younger kids in front of the TV. Daphne and Phil were watching an episode of Sponge Bob-Square Pants. Sam was on the couch keeping an eye on them while he was texting on his phone. Sam was also down in the dumps since the argument, his and Rachel's relationship as brother and sister was deteriorating because of the huge revelation.

I decided to walk into the kitchen. Karen was at the table working on some of the food. Momaw was at the stove cooking her famous banana and wafer pudding. Since me and the younger kids didn't like the bananas she made one with nothing but wafer cookies in it. I missed her cooking; her deserts were to die for.

“Aunt Karen, do you need some help?”

She looked up the smile on her face not quite reaching her eyes.

“Sure honey. You can help peeling some potatoes for the stew for tomorrow. Afterward if you want you can help me with the pecan pie.”

I smiled and took a seat. She handed me the peeler and the bowl of potatoes and I got started. I made sure not to hurt myself on with the peeler.

My mind was swirling though. I hadn't received any messages from Robert since they left a couple days before, the day before yesterday. I wasn't sure if Robert was going to continue sleeping with my mom while we had this thing going on behind her back. I kind of guessed he would have to just to keep that relationship going. She might start to get suspicious if he refused to sleep with her.

I am just worried about how much longer our relationship can stay on track. I'm not normally a jealous person but that woman just gets on nerves to the extreme.

Kimi hasn't messaged me either which is strange. I figured she would have tried calling me or messaging me or something. I felt so alone during this entire situation.

“Laura?”

My head snapped up and I noticed the potato I was peeling was done. I picked up another one and looked at Karen.

“I heard about your friend Alex. I’m so sorry Laura.”

I smiled. It was strange, I hadn't cried very much since they pulled the plug. I suppose I was in denial or something, part of me didn't want to believe my best friend, Alex Mason, was dead. I guessed that once the funeral came I wouldn't be in denial so much.

“Thanks Karen for saying that. So much has been going on that I haven't really gotten to think about him dying. I suppose at the funeral is when it will finally hit me that one of my best friends is actually dead.”

She gave me a sad smile, “Who's going with you?”

“Um well I know Kimi's going. Mom and Robert are supposed to go with me to show their support and all. I don't know if they will actually come or not because something could come up again.”