[Chapter 46]

Chapter 46

November 27, 2009

The day after Thanksgiving was filled with sweet goodbyes and many hugs. I walked downstairs after putting everything back in my suitcase enjoying the good mood everyone was in. The only people that were in bad moods were Daphne and Phil.

After eating all that food they both were still suffering from hurting tummies. Daphne constantly wanted to be held and Phil just wanted to sleep away the pain. I stood at the bottom of the staircase watching Momaw talk with Robert while Karen was talking with mom.

Things between mom and Karen weren't settled by any long shot but they were at least talking. I walked past everyone in the living room toward the kitchen. Rachel and Sam were sitting in the kitchen at the table. Momaw had this huge roll table that had been stretched out for yesterday and was put away. So her make shift dining room was back to being a small sitting area. Since Momaw lived here alone she used the small table in the kitchen to eat on.

Rachel was eating some of the left-over food from yesterday, seeing it was lunch time already. Sam was stuffing his face with some of the pudding. I laughed as a spoon full of pudding fell into his lap staining his pair of jeans.

He gave me a glare standing to clean his mess.

“Hungry Laura?” asked Rachel.

Shrugging I reply, “Not really I guess. The big breakfast Momaw cooked could feed an army. I think I am just craving desert.”

“That's what I said!” exclaimed Sam as he finished cleaning the mess he made on his clothes.

Rachel smiled shaking her head. I walked over to the fridge and found the bowl of pudding. Before I could grab the bowl I heard Momaw’s voice.

“Laura, I wouldn't grab that just yet. I have an entire batch that you can take home with you. I put it in that food bag with your mother, along with some actual food, pecan pie, and half that sock-it-to-me cake.”

I closed the fridge back and looked at Momaw. I gave her a smile when I saw the wrinkles in her forehead. She was trying to stop the frown that was forming on her lips. I didn't like the idea of leaving her any more than she liked the idea of me leaving either.

I actually liked being here this year. I could forget everything for a while and just enjoy the peace my family brought with them. I moved toward her as her arms opened wide for me. She held me tight to her chest and I could feel the tears trying to stream down my cheeks.

I felt Rachel and Sam stand as well joining in on the hug. Aunt Karen and her kids lived near here so they could visit her whenever they wanted to. Unlike me who had to ride a place just to come see my own grandmother. Pulling away we all chuckled at how ridiculous we all were acting.

“Laura!” I heard Robert's voice from the living room.

Turning my head to greet him I gave a smile, “Yeah?”

He chuckled, “Molly says that our plane leaves pretty soon. She wants to know if you are ready to go just yet.”

I sigh and look down at the floor, “Yeah, my bags are packed just let me say goodbye to everyone.”

He smiles but he can tell that I'm really upset about leaving.

“Take your time just keep in mind the plane.”

He turns around walking back toward the living room, no doubt going upstairs to get my bags. I feel someone hugging me once again and I look to see Sam. He's hugging me tightly, “It was good seeing you cousin, Laura.”