[Chapter 50]

Chapter 50

The ride back home was quiet. I was little uncomfortable now for some reason. I couldn’t understand why and I think that scared me the most. Robert was careful on the way back home. He turned up the music and let it fill the car to make it less tense.

I was staring out the window trying to calm my nerves. I didn’t understand what was wrong all of a sudden. I felt cramped and hot in this car for some reason. I finally looked at the light we had stopped at and my eyes widened. This was the last light we would stop at before we got home.

What would happen tonight? What did he expect to happen? Would I give him every part of me completely?

I sighed as the light turned green and he turned down the road leading to the house. My fingers were pulling at the fabric of my dress, fidgeting like something was really wrong. I looked at him out of the corner of my eye and saw him with a nervous look on his face. His fingers clenched the steering wheel and unclenched it over and over. His nerves seemed even worse than mine right now.

The vehicle followed the twists and turns of the road and I could feel my throat tightening once again. My voice was gone as the house came into view. I realize that I just don't want this night to end. I look down at the watch on my wrist and find the time to be 9:30 pm.

The night seemed to be endless even though the date lasted longer than I expected it to. Robert pulled the vehicle in the drive and cut the engine. I finally looked at him and gave him a smile even though I was a nervous wreck on the inside.

He returned the smile and I suddenly wished I could see his electric blue eyes. I sighed and went to pull the latch to open the door when Robert grabbed my arm.

“Now what kind of date would I be if I let you open the door by yourself?”

I giggled, the tension suddenly gone from the atmosphere. He gave me a smirk and hopped out of the SUV. I could feel the giddiness from the date returning as I realized I never wanted this night to end. The door opened and he took both of my hands helping me from the vehicle.

He closes the door shut and pulls my arm through his and holds my hand as we walk to the front door. I He pulls out his own set of keys and unlocks the door and allows me to step inside. The a/c is running full blast and I shiver suddenly cold since the temperature outside has begun the drop.

“Why in the world would you leave the a/c on in weather like this?”

I chuckled, “Well I couldn't leave the central heat running in case it caught the house on fire. Plus the house would have been way too stuffy. I can turn the temperature down to keep it cool in here because if we turn it off then it will be too hot to sleep.”

He shakes his head at me and walks toward the living room leaving me alone. I take a deep breath as I walk toward the den where the control box is. I can here just how quiet the house is and push open the den room. The den isn't really anything special. When Dad lived here it was his computer room but now it's nothing but a reading room. Mom doesn't trust leaving her laptop out in the open like this so she keeps it in her secret room. I think she took the thing with her to LA though.

I locate the control box and turn down the temperature hearing the a/c click off to warm up some. Once it gets to hot it will kick back on. I sigh and walk back out of the room toward the living room. I leave on my jacket since it's still awfully cold in the house. I can hear music from the living room, a voice I recognize from the radio.

I walk into the living room and find Robert messing with the stereo system. Kings of Leon's song Use Somebody is playing through the speakers.

“Do you like them or something?” I ask.