[Chapter 48]

Chapter 48

Robert's POV

Leaving Laura alone in that house was one of the hardest things I had to do. I was still scared of what this Ben guy was capable of. I had never met the man before and neither Laura nor Molly wanted to talk about him in great detail.

I opened the door of the SUV and climbed in. Driving the streets of America was hard at first but then I got the hang of it, basically the same thing just on different sides of the road. I stuck in the key my eyes not actually leaving the front door of the house.

Taking a deep breath I tried calming my nerves the best I could and changed gears. I backed out onto the street and drove through the neighborhood.

I could feel the nerves in my stomach trying to take flight. I haven't felt this nervous in my life. I remember the audition for Twilight; how I thought those nerves were going to kill ne right then and there. Then when I met Kristen and thinking about much I thought I cared for her now I realize how wrong I was.

I've never felt this before in my life. The street connects at the intersection, directing me toward the main part of town. I follow along the roads until I'm down town. Molly showed me this small restaurant a few weeks ago, she wanted me to plan a date for her there but that's not happening. I'm determined to make Laura's very first date the best ever.

I pull the SUV in the back of the building knowing that I have to conceal my face. Those days of the premiere nearly killed me. I had to go around telling everyone, even my family, that I was dating this woman who I didn't even like. I was in desperate love with her daughter.

The thought stops me short. Love?! When did that happen? I told myself not to let it get that far. Whatever this was with Laura wouldn't last because I refused to ruin her life because of my fame. I dread the day the press actually find Molly's real name and house because Laura's life will never be the same.

I swallow feeling the sudden dryness of my mouth and throat. Cutting the engine, I close my eyes leaning against the seat. This can't be happening right now! I can't be in love with this high school girl, she doesn't love me back. I mean even if she did she's clouded by the fact that I'm a celebrity and that's all it is, it's not real love.

The thought causes my heart to pound erratically. I don't like the idea of her not loving me in the same way. Another thought comes across my mind; do I tell her I love her to find out if she loves me?

I shake my head; of course I can't tell her that. The poor girl is being dragged around while I publicly date her mother. She has to basically watch someone she desperately cares about kiss another woman. I can't tell her this revelation right now, everything will be ruined.

The nerves in my body have lessened but I can tell that this won't be as easy as I once thought it to be. My eyes open to reveal a plain brick wall in front of the car. This place is secluded, most people can't afford the place or don't realize it's an actual restaurant. I take a deep breath to calm the nerves and push away the one thought that's making the nerves worse. Later once I'm alone I'll figure everything out but for now I'll push it aside and bury it.

I take the keys from the ignition and push them in the front pocket of my jeans. Looking in the rear-view mirror I spot the bag I placed in here earlier. The bag that holds my tux. Everything about tonight has to be perfect and if Molly shows up everything will be ruined not to mention brought to light in Molly's eyes.

I push the door open not letting myself think about the possibility of Molly showing up. I walk across the concrete to the back door. The door's black with a small peep hole at the top. I raise my hand and knock twice like instructed just the other day when I made these reservations.