[Chapter 42]

Chaper 42

Kimi and I were sitting in the waiting area for our flights. Kimi was flipping through a magazine she bought for her flight. I chuckled at her as she just flipped through the pages not actually looking at any of the pages.

“So are you excited about going to your dad's for Thanksgiving?”

She sat the book in her lap and shrugged.

“I don't know really. Things between us are awkward since the divorce. He doesn't even see me most of the time so things are just weird. Thank goodness he hasn't remarried, just dates. He can't hold a relationship very long.”

Sometimes it amazed me about how much our fathers were alike.

“I understand Kimi. Hell my father remarried and I don't get to see him. He didn't even come in the room at the hospital to see me for god’s sakes. Your mother was talking to your father quite a bit on the phone when you were in the hospital. He couldn't make it but my father did. He just refused to come in the room to actually see me for once.”

Kimi sighed.

"Flight to Jackson, Mississippi is now boarding."

I sighed.

“That would be me.”

I stood to my feet as well as Kimi. She pulled her shades to her forehead and enveloped me in a hug.

“Be safe Laura. I know combined with Sarah, your mom, Robert, and your family, things will get kind of hectic. Just call me if you need me alright?”

I nodded hugging her back with same force. We pulled away after a few minutes and I grabbed my bags with me.

Kimi gave me a smile as I walked off toward the line to give in my ticket. The woman at the stand was taking tickets and giving smiles to everyone. I was carrying my gray handbag and the smaller case from the suitcases.

It was my turn next and I handed her my ticket. She smiled at me and looked over my ticket and then handed it back to me.

“Have a great flight mam.”

“Thanks.”

I walked down the small walk way toward the plane. There was a small line when I got to the plane itself and waited for a few minutes. I got inside the plane and showed the woman my ticket.

“First class is right through there.”

She pointed to the side and I took my ticket walking in that direction. I looked down at my ticket and found my seat was a window seat. I placed my small suitcase bag in the overhead compartment and then took my seat. I let out a breath I had been holding for some time. I hated flying with passion. The fear of flying got even worse after 9/11. I know the odds of that happening again and especially on a flight I was on were very slim but that didn't stop the butterflies in my stomach.

I fastened my seat belt and leaned against my seat. I decided to open up the window until the flight began. Suddenly someone stopped at my seat. I turned my head and saw a guy around my age maybe older was looking down at me with this smirk on his face.

I rolled my eyes and then ignored him. He started adding his own things to the overhead compartment and took the seat beside me. Great I was going to have to sit beside him the entire flight.

“Hey my name's Gabe, Gabe Collins. What's your name?”

It was then that I decided to at least talk to him. I mean if I was going to get through this flight than we should at least be on good circumstances.