[end]

tyler's smile was a genuine one, the kind that was contagious and spread to the faces of anyone who was lucky enough to witness it. he pulled brendon into a bone crushing hug and crawled into his lap.

"thank you so much for everything, brendon. i don't deserve someone like you." tyler couldn't even begin to express his gratitude for everything brendon had done, but one thing came to mind. in one swift movement his lips were pressed against brendon's as a final way to express his gratefulness. it was nothing romantic, merely a gesture of platonic love, but it meant so much to each of the boys. they knew that their friendship was one that would last, and they wouldn't want it any other way.

"i'm gonna go now," tyler mumbled as he stood up and changed into something more presentable. it wasn't too fancy, just a plain black t-shirt dress, but tyler felt confident as he observed his reflection in the mirror.

"i'll be waiting right here for when you get back," brendon said. "go show josh how you feel."

tyler nodded and left his room, feet padding against the floor as he skipped down his stairs and slipped on a pair of sandals. brendon followed behind with the plan of getting food from the kitchen. the sound of a car door slamming shut could be heard from outside and tyler began to panic. he completely forgot about debby. she had kind of just been there for the past few weeks, not causing any problems and staying away from any possible drama. she was not going to be happy with tyler's decision.

she walked into the house humming a happy song and greeted the two boys, her peppy aura dying out as she noticed the tension in the atmosphere.

"what did i miss?" she asked and joined them in the kitchen.

tyler and brendon shared a knowing look. "i have something to tell you, and i know that you're not going to be happy but please hear me out."

debby nodded, urging tyler to continue.

"i have feelings for josh." tyler watched for any sign of anger in her face, but he was concerned as there was none.

"that's great!" she exclaimed and tyler could hear the sarcasm spewing from her words. he tensed at her harsh tone. "have fun getting cheated on by someone you trusted and then having them betray you."

"debby, please."

"no, i'm done with you and josh's little games and i want none of that in my life."

"i understand that you're upset but you have to hear me out!" tyler watched as debby stomped away, ignoring his pleas.

"brendon, are you seriously okay with this? you're just going to let tyler leave you for the person who cheated on me? this is a new low for both of you," she scoffed, voice increasing in volume with each word.

"if this is what will make tyler happy, then yeah, i'm okay with it." brendon shrugged his shoulders and watched as debby disappeared into the guest room, shutting the door behind her with force. tyler looked at brendon with wide eyes and a confused expression. "go- i'll take care of her. don't stay back just because one person doesn't support you."

tyler was nervous, the good kind, as he approached josh's house and knocked against the door to announce his arrival.

josh looked surprised as tyler stood there, the two staring at each other in complete silence before tyler broke the peace. he lurched forward and brought his lips together with josh's, savoring the feeling that he had been craving ever since the yellow haired man entered his life once again.

they pulled away, out of breath and panting, but they each beamed in elation.

"as much as i enjoyed that, what about brendon?" josh asked, worried that tyler was cheating (if that's what you would call it) on brendon.

"i told him how i felt about you, and he was understanding."

josh was taken aback and slightly guilty, but those thoughts slipped away as he engulfed tyler into a hug, their bodies flush against one another, neither wanting to let go.

"i've missed you so much. so, so much." josh brought tyler in for another kiss, this one less urgent and full of more admiration. it felt right, like they were meant to be in this exact position, holding one another close as they expressed their feelings without any words being said.

in fact, there was nothing to be said. it was like they could read each others mind, one step ahead of everyone else. everything was so soft and delicate; the way josh's cold fingertips traced tyler's jawline, creating a line of goosebumps in its path. the way their lips molded together in an endearing kiss. the way tyler's eyelashes fluttered against his and josh's cheeks in the midst of their kiss. it warmed their hearts and they never wanted it to end.

the moment seemed to drag on, what felt like an hour only being five minutes. that was the effect they had on each other, the only thing that mattered while they were in the same vicinity was one another and it was such a special thing. they wouldn't trade what they had for anything in the world, and even though it took them a while to realize this, they were meant for each other.

they weren't the same without each other and before that fateful day when tyler fell over the fence into josh's lawn, they were completely different people. tyler had little to no social skills, and he would only talk to melanie, but there was something about josh that made him so easy to interact with. and before josh met tyler his life revolved around debby. yes, he loved her, but what they had wasn't healthy and it took one glance at tyler for josh to figure that out. through one another they learned things about themselves and that was what made their relationship unlike any other.

and as their lips retracted, uneven breaths fanning against raw lips, tyler couldn't help the giggle that bubbled up from his throat. josh furrowed his eyebrows and twirled tyler's brown curls in his fingers, a small chuckle leaving his mouth as well.

"what's so funny, ty?" josh whispered, just loud enough for tyler to hear.

"i was going to say something about you being my boyfriend, but i realized that, technically, we're not an official couple yet," tyler mumbled, giving josh a butterfly kiss as their noses pressed together.

"oh, c'mon, i thought it would be obvious," josh said in a sarcastic groan, heart fluttering as tyler's dulcet giggles filled his ears. "tyler robert joseph, would you like to be my boyfriend?"

"i never thought you'd ask," he mumbled. "it would be my honor."

those five words were the start of something beautiful, something incredible, and they wouldn't want it any other way.

"oh, and tyler, did you enjoy watching me over the fence for that month?"

the end.