[21]

"brendon?"

"yeah, ty?"

"you're an amazing person, thank you so much for caring."

"o-oh, no p-problem." brendon cracked a grin at the compliment and his stomach erupted with butterflies. "i just don't want you getting hurt."

"do you want to go out to ice cream with me this afternoon?" tyler questioned, wanting to get to know brendon more.

"w-wait, what?" brendon wasn't sure if he had heard tyler correctly. did he say that he was going to get ice cream this afternoon, or was he asking him to get ice cream with him this afternoon?

"do you want to get ice cream with me?"

"like a date?"

"yeah, sure. like a date." tyler smiled and brendon nodded excitedly, his whole being lighting up like a christmas tree at the thought of going on a date with tyler joseph.

"i'd love to."

"awesome! you should go to get ready and i'll do the same, but come back here at around noon. how does that sound?"

"i guess i'll see you at noon."

☆ミ

tyler kicked melanie out after brendon had left, allowing debby to continue sleeping since she was staying with him anyways.

by the time tyler had showered and gotten dressed for the date, it was already noon and he was rushing to style his hair as he heard the doorbell ring. he rushed down the staircase and to the front door, slipping out of the house and to brendon's side.

"there's an ice cream place not too far from here so i was thinking we could walk," tyler said as he walked down his driveway with brendon, the two boys standing close together. tyler looked up and caught brendon staring at him, each of their faces flushing pink as tyler giggled.

"thank you for taking me out, it means a lot to me." brendon was floating on cloud nine as tyler hesitantly tangled their fingers together, swinging their intertwined hands back and forth in between their bodies as they neared the ice cream place.

the vintage feeling of the small shop gave off a welcoming vibe. the walls were white with seafoam green trimming, the seating booths lined with pastel yellow. the floors were set with black and white checkerboard tiles, feeling as though it was plucked straight from an 80's film. it was tyler's absolute favorite place to get ice cream, and he knew the owners very well.

as the two entered through the door at the front of the shop, a bell rang above them and the woman behind the counter diverted her attention from the magazine she was reading to the two boys as they approached her.

"tyler! it's been a while, i've missed your company!" the black haired girl exclaimed, her welsh accent thick in her words as she spoke.

"i've been busy, but i promise i'll make more time for you, marina," tyler teased, dropping brendon's hand as he leaned over the cash register to embrace marina.

"ty, who's this cutie?" marina asked in a suggestive manner and raised her eyebrows, standing from her stool and grabbing an ice cream scoop from the water it rested in.

"this is brendon, it's our first date."

"i better be invited to the wedding," she teased and turned towards the freezers where the ice cream was stored. "what can i get for my favorite customer and his date?"

"i'll have a large orange pineapple in a cone." tyler was giddy as he spoke; partly because of his ice cream, and partly because of the cute boy that was stood closely behind him. the cone was handed off to him and he was quick to start eating before it could melt.

"what do you recommend?" brendon asked the small brunette and he furrowed his eyebrows in thought.

"he'll get a medium cotton candy in a cone." tyler concluded and peered up at brendon to make sure he was okay with the order. the older boy nodded and marina began scooping it out, handing him the pink and blue treat carefully so he wouldn't drop it.

"how much will that be?" the dark haired boy asked before tyler got the chance to.

marina waved her hand in an 'oh, please' gesture. "it's my treat."

tyler wasn't about to turn down free ice cream and he tugged brendon into the corner booth, the two sitting opposite of each other as they worked on their ice cream.

"it's funny how we've kissed and were able to successfully pull off being in a relationship with each other, but i don't really know much about you," brendon chuckled, watching the way tyler nodded along with his words.

"tell me the first thing that comes to mind about yourself," tyler suggested.

"let's see..." brendon pondered on his options, wanting to find the perfect thing. "oh, i got one. this isn't anything too exciting, but i have a really big forehead."

tyler let out a hearty laugh and brendon's heart fluttered at the action, tucking it away in the back of his mind as his new favorite noise.

"in fourth grade i told my class that i was lesbian instead of lebanese," tyler giggled and it was brendon's turn to laugh this time. tyler noted how much he loved the sound.

the two shared friendly conversation over their ice cream, becoming quite fond of one another by the time they each finished the last bite of their cake cones. marina watched the dynamics of the boys with fondness laced in her features, deciding that she thought brendon would be good for tyler.

tyler needed something stable in his life, and brendon appeared to have that potential.

•••
a/n

i saw the power rangers movie tonight and i loved it so much. we don't believe what's on tv was in the first scene and i was jamming out which was cool. my favorite part about the movie was the diversity though. 4/5 of the rangers were poc, the yellow ranger was lesbian, and the blue ranger was on the spectrum!! it was amazing to see so much diversity in a children's movie and it made me so happy. it was also really well made and overall a great movie. i would highly recommend it :))

i hope you guys are doing absolutely amazing and if not always remember that you're alive and i'm so fucking proud of you.
-carina