[6]

to say tyler was bored out of his mind would be an understatement. a week had passed and he was still unable to do most of the things that his usual days consisted of. everything made his head throb, including being around melanie since she never seemed to shut up.

he was currently listening to 'the irony of choking on a lifesaver' by all time low as he sat outside in the sun by himself, leaning back in his reclining zero gravity chair. he figured that if he wasn't able to do anything he would at least spend the time relaxing.

"you're the break lines failing as my car swerves off the freeway, it kinda feels like sabotage," tyler sang along as the song progressed, smiling in content as the sun heated up his skin.

"why can't you just be happy for, why can't you just be happy for me?" a familiar voice joined in causing tyler to jolt upright, making his head spin. "oh shit sorry, did i scare you?"

"just a bit," tyler rolled his eyes as he took a deep breath and looked up to see josh approaching him with a large smile on his face.

how ironic that it was those lines he happened to sing..

"thought i'd come and check on you."

"maybe you could refrain from giving me a heart attack next time? i don't trust you to plan my funeral," tyler joked as he stood up and began to walk to the french doors leading into his house. he opened them up and entered the kitchen, peering at josh as he stood still. "you can come in if you want."

"well that's a relief, i thought you would just leave me out here all day," josh teased and watched as tyler pulled a can of redbull out of his refrigerator and popped the top open, taking a long swig of the energy drink.

they stood in silence as tyler downed the can and got a water bottle for himself instead. he tossed one over to josh and led him into living room, sitting on the couch within close proximity of each other.

"i wanted to talk about what happened last week," josh cleared his throat as he took a sip of his water, hoping that tyler wouldn't make things awkward between them.

"you have my full attention," tyler spoke as he turned his body so he could face josh completely.

"i really appreciate you not bringing it up around debby, i can't lose her."

"i'm not that much of an asshole, i know appropriate situations to bring certain topics up."

"i figured but i'm still really grateful. can i, uh- can i ask why you kissed me?" josh queried and raised an eyebrow at tyler.

"i thought it was what you wanted," tyler whispered as he fiddled with his hands, avoiding eye contact at all costs.

"why did you think that?"

"i don't know, it's just- you were talking about how you thought that you liked guys and you told me i looked good and then we were cuddling and i swear i saw you looking at my lips," tyler rambled and josh let out a breathy chuckle as the words left the younger boy's mouth.

"i never said i didn't want it," josh spoke and tyler's head snapped up in his direction, his eyebrows furrowing as he stared at the red head.

"boys are so confusing," tyler sighed as he dramatically rolled his eyes at josh.

"i wanna see how being with a guy makes me feel compared to being with a girl, sorta like a test run. debby doesn't have to know."

"hm, where do i start? first, i don't want to be your little experiment i thought i explained that the other day! second, i will not participate in anything if it involves going behind debby's back, she's too nice and i still feel horrible about the kiss," tyler retaliated and josh raised his hands in defense.

"chill, she won't find out so she won't get hurt. and you're not an experiment," josh explained and tyler huffed at josh's immaturity.

"let me think about it," tyler mumbled as he walked josh outside and waved a small goodbye, dreading the fact that he has to tell all of this to melanie.

☆ミ

"so he wants to have a no strings attached, friends with benefits type of thing?" melanie tried to comprehend all of the information tyler had given her. he nodded with a grimace on his face at how horrible it sounded once she put it into words. "i'd say go for it."

"are you crazy?" he cried out as he stared at her with wide eyes.

"yes, but that's aside from the point. if you take up the offer it won't harm anyone, it'll be fun! you have the life of a 40 year old virgin, you could spice things up for a change."

"why is everyone in my life so bad at advice? i should just call my mom," tyler groaned.

"that's exactly what i'm talking about."

"shut up."

"peer pressure, peer pressure, peer pressure!" melanie chanted getting louder and closer to tyler each time, to the point where she was shouting in his ear, knowing he would give in because his head couldn't take her yelling and he would do anything to make her quiet.

"yes! fine, i'll do it! just shut up," tyler whined as melanie quickly backed away and made a zipping motion across her mouth, tossing her hand over her shoulder as she threw the metaphorical key away.

"i'm gonna leave now and you're gonna call him, okay?" melanie instructed as she made her way to the door, exiting and shutting it behind her.

tyler picked up his phone and went to josh's contact, contemplating calling him. the phone began to slip out of his hand and in his panicked attempt to stop the fall his thumb pressed the dial button and he swore in that moment that his life flashed before his eyes. he was too shocked to process anything but he heard a muffled voice coming from the speakers so he warily placed the phone up to his ear.

"tyler?"

"hey buddy," tyler nervously chuckled.

"you called for..?"

"oh right! can you come over so we can talk about what we discussed earlier?"

"sure thing buddy, see you in a few."

•••
a/n

happy new year everyone!! i hope 2017 is amazing for all of you and that you guys had a fun night tonight!!
-carina