Rewind, Pt III

They began to work on a portal immediately. But, no one had any idea of how they had ended up in this time. Magnus, who had read most of the books the world had to offer, couldn't figure out the mystery. He had done the impossible and now, he had no idea of how to reverse it. 'Alec, calm down.' He soothed his husband as he looked through another book.

They were both studying intensely to get back their son. 'I'm sure it'll be fine, Alexander. If we really have gone to another time period, we will return to the moment we left. Max will be as clueless as the rest of the world. For them, it will be as if we never left.' Alec smiled weakly but looked up at Magnus with teary eyes.

'Magnus, I have limited time with Max compared to you. They may not realise that we have gone but I'm still ageing. I'm still losing time with Max.' Magnus sighed, bringing Alec into a hug.

'You're losing just as much as you would if we're on holiday. I know that is no consolation but it's true. You can't spend your entire life with him. You need to savour the moments we do have so that...when you're gone,' Magnus choked on his words, tears brimming in his eyes, 'we will never forget you. I don't think I ever could anyway.' Magnus let go and buried his face in a book, not wanting to see Alec's face. They had had this conversation so many times over the years they had been together; never had it gotten any easier.

They both continued flipping pages, barely giving each other a glance. 'You two need a break, it's nearly midnight.' A voice called from behind them. Alec turned around to see Tessa in the doorway- wearing a long Victorian dress. Despite the beauty of the garment, Alec was unsure of how any human could breathe in one of those corsets. Magnus laughed as he turned around to see his husband gawking at the woman's clothing. 'I once wore a dress like that.' Magnus laughed, a memory flooding back into his mind, ignoring Tessa's comment.

Alec shook his head but was in no way surprised. He looked over to Tessa and smiled. 'I think it is best that we sleep. Should we find a room, Magnus?' He asked, turning back to Magnus who nodded and smiled. They stood and followed Tessa out of the room, falling behind the trail of her dress.

It seemed that the rest of the Institute was asleep as they walked down the halls. Tessa had told them that she had waited for them to appear but they never had so in turn, she had come in to get them. 'There's no point in researching when you have no energy.' She stated, giving them both the look of a mother chastising her children.

'I know. And that is why I miss coffee. Are you sure you don't have any?' Tessa shook her head, laughing silently at Alec's comment.

'Yes, I'm sure.' Tessa sighed, leading them to the bedroom where they could stay. It was grand room, not that different to Alec's old room at the New York Institute. In fact, it was almost identical- excluding the modern technology.

'Wow.' Alec breathed. Tessa rose an eyebrow at him but he didn't reply.

'It looks exactly like Alec's room at the Institute.' Magnus explained, slightly in awe himself. Tessa simply laughed.

'What a coincidence. Well, I hope you two have a good night's rest.' She smiled and waved, leaving them be. Almost in exact synchronisation, they fell onto the bed and smiled at each other.

'We're going to get back soon.' Magnus reassured Alec, pulling him into a hug.

'I know.' Alec breathed, closing his eyes, a sudden cold feeling running through him. Magnus had already pulled away and was standing up. 'What are you doing, Magnus?' Magnus was smiling like a madman and his hands were moving as fast as lightning.

'Write them a note of thanks because we are going back to the present.' Magnus smiled, giving Alec a look of complete pride, in himself, of course. Alec nodded and hurriedly began to scribble on the piece of paper he found at the desk tucked away in the corner.

By the time he was done, the portal was finished and Alec was sprinting to Magnus' side. 'Are you ready?' He asked, his smile still gleeful and juvenile. Alec nodded and brought Magnus through the portal. He wanted to see his son, now.

Within seconds, they were back exactly where they left. The portal in front of them was gone and so were both their smiles. 'What time is it?' Alec panicked, turning to try and find a clock buried before the excessive amount of glitter in the apartment. He couldn't find one and just as he was about to scour for a clock, he was stopped by a hand gripping his arms.

'It's fine. It's no more than a few seconds after we left.' Magnus was glancing at the flashy watch on his wrist and Alec sighed in relief as he saw the time. 'So, how about that honeymoon?' Magnus teased as Alec caught his breath and calmed down.

'No, Magnus. Just. No.' He laughed, still breathing heavily. They looked at each other, smiles gracing their faces once again. 'Magnus, we just time travelled.' Alec's eyes widened as if the realisation had only just hit him.

'I need to call Tessa!' He called out, fishing his phone out of his pocket. It wasn't there. 'What do you do if you leave your phone in another timeline?' Alec began to laugh, Magnus did too. Because, they really had no idea. They continued to laugh, tears brimming their eyes. Alec got out his phone and pulled up Tessa's number. Magnus just gestured him to put his phone away, he could do it later. For now, he just wanted some more time with his husband.

'How did you do it in the end?' Alec asked, curiously, as they made their way to the sofa, together.

'Hope.' Magnus smiled, shrugging. It really had been an adventure. That was much better than Hawaii.

word count: 1026

published: 03.04.17