Rewind, Pt II

A/N Sorry, I really didn't like this part but I wanted to get it out there. I think I'll be making a part 3 because it doesn't end very happy and I want a fluffy ending.

'Magnus Bane of the future, nice to meet you again, Will Herondale.' Magnus laughed under his breath but nonetheless stayed bowed as if to save himself from the wrath of one of the major shadowhunters of his generation, mostly due to his relation to both Brother Zachariah and Tessa Grey.

Will, now shell-shocked, said nothing leading Alec to decide that it was best to come to stand next to Magnus again, skipping the bow, and held out his hand- hoping that it was still a custom back then.

Alec had always had an interest in history but to study extensively on the rights of passage of a certain time was uncommon for him, he was more about learning 'fighting techniques' that how to say hello.

Magnus, finally having risen from his position, laughed at Alec's petrified face. 'Alec, I believe that you know of these people.' Magnus announced, somehow making Alec blush with even the simplest of words. Without hesitation, Alec nodded and allowed Magnus to push his outcast hand due to the knowledge that neither party was going to shake it. Both Tessa and Will seemed to be frozen in time and hadn't moved an inch since Magnus had decided to bow.

'Um...Magnus...how are you from the future?' Tessa asked hesitantly, taking step by step towards them, taking Will behind her until both couples were face to face.

Magnus just shrugged and laughed the question off. 'Ignoring that, I want to know how you two are! And...when this is.' Magnus murmured the last bit, looking at his surroundings curiously before Tessa spoke up, addressing Magnus seemingly forgetting Alec's existence.

'Well, ironically, it seems you only just left to go to Peru.' Magnus paused when Alec burst into fits of laughter, almost falling with ecstasy.

'Magnus! We have to go to Peru. You always refuse to tell me what happened...WAIT UNTIL JACE HEARS OF THIS!' He laughed, forgetting about their company. It was unusual for Alec to be this outgoing in front of others but something about the sentence had just caused him to break lose.

Tessa and Will decided it was best to stay still, letting the possible situations run through their minds, whilst Magnus just blushed heavily- showing even through his heavy foundation.

When Alec had finally stopped laughing, silence fell and each and every person seemed to be stuck in their own minds.

'Jace?' Will asked, trying to piece the puzzle together.

'Oh...um...yeah. He's my parabatai, Jace Wayland...Lightwood...Morgenstern...Herondale...forget that, he's your somewhat distance relative...I guess.' Alec mumbled, unsure of himself, and out of pure embarrassment at his previous actions, clutched at Magnus' hand and hid half his body behind his husband's.

Magnus looked warily at him, raising an eyebrow at Alec, seemingly confused that Alec's grip on his fingers was becoming almost unbearably tight. Will, on the other hand, seemed to be curious, to say the least. He had run back and after grabbing Tessa's hand, he made his way to the other couple.

'Jace, is he like me? Is he scared of ducks! Oh! Jem and Tessa, what are they like in the future...' Will went on for another few minutes, asking this and that, Magnus failing to interrupt and Alec just nodding or shaking his head when it was deemed necessary.

After a rather unauthorised pause, Will's face turned sour. 'You say this Jace boy is like me. He seems to share common characteristics though if I do say so myself, I do not believe myself to be narcissistic-' He was cut off by Magnus snorting but continued after shooting him a murderous glare. 'Anyway, though I seem to have your looks so I'm guessing we're somehow related too. Off topic, though, there is a single test that a Herondale must pass to be in my good books.' Another silence fell as Will waited for suspense to rise before spitting out the question.

That single stupid questions.

'Does he know the demon pox song?' The anticlimax seemed humongous. Magnus simply snorted again whilst Alec nodded his head reluctantly and Tessa, finally making a movement, sighed.

Will smiled and seemed pleased that his song had been passed down through the generations. 'Well then, I welcome you to the family, Alec. Though I'm not sure if your lover here should really be a part of the family tree.' Magnus and Will's eyes met and they shot death glares at each other before Magnus spoke, arrogance in his voice.

'He's my husband, actually, I think you should at least get your facts right.' Will took a step back, they had both forgotten- they were in Victorian London and although Magnus knew none of them was against double male relationships- marriage was simply not an option.

'June 27th, 2015. Gay marriage became legal in the US.' Magnus stated, smiling brightly at his husband. Neither of the others seemed to care, though.

'YOU'RE FROM 2015!' Will gaped, it seemed that they had failed to mention just how far back they had come. Magnus, still unsure of how he did, was unsure how he had the power to even complete the task.

Alec shrugged and leant his head on Magnus' shoulder. 'I know this is great and all Magnus but we really need to get home before something goes wrong. Max needs us.' Alec sighed into Magnus' shoulder as the room grew quieter.

'Who's Max?' Will asked, raising a single eyebrow at the both of them.

'Our son.' Magnus stated sadly, obviously realising that there was a slim chance that they wouldn't see their son for a very long time- a very, very long time. 'We adopted him not that long ago. He's a warlock, like Magnus and Tessa. We have to get back to him.' Alec mumbled, a distant look in his eyes. Over the short time they had had him, he grew to love the boy just as deeply as he loved Magnus and as long as his family was whole, he was whole.

That didn't seem to be the case anymore.

word count: 1021

published: 19/01/17