The Next Generation

ALEC'S POV

'Get down here, Max!' I shouted up the stairs. I heard a huff and Max, now aged fourteen, stumbled ungraciously down the stairs. No doubt had he got Magnus' style with a glittery flowing top and some ripped skinny jeans and perfected eyeliner on his eyes.

He got to the bottom of the stairs and started fiddling with his fingers, playing with his magic. 'Max!' I scolded. He still wasn't in the best control of his magic and it made me nervous when he played with it, just like when he tried to play with my seraph blades.

Max was a warlock but had shadowhunter training and always wanted to show it. 'What do you want now, father?' To stop confusion he called me father and Magnus dad, I still remember when Magnus got upset when he stopped calling him Daddy.

'You're coming to the Institute. It's your cousins birthday and you have to be there.' I knew the answer before it came.

'Do I have to go? It's a FIVE years olds party. I'm fourteen, father!' I sighed and walked up to him, placing my hand on his shoulder.

'Yes, Amy is going to be really upset if you don't come. Magnus! You're coming too!' I shouted and heard a similar huff to Max' as he came out of his office.

'Yes, Magnus. You have to come as well. Must you act like a teenager?' I said before he could complain. He sighed in defeat and went into his room to get ready and I warned him that we had to leave in fifteen minutes although we only had to leave in half an hour, he was always late.

Amy, who's birthday it was, is Izzy and Simon's favourite- and only- child. It was her fifth birthday today and the whole family was invited, including my parents. I wasn't looking forward to it but no way was I disgracing myself by not turning up. I was doing this for Izzy- and I guess the mundie too.

Clary and Jace were also coming with their two children, twins, Jay and Marie. They had turned ten a few weeks ago and received their first runes. Max, being who he is, was jealous and we had to comfort him for hours before his crying stopped.

Although he loved being a warlock, he wanted to fit in with the family so desperately. They all loved him but his blue skin and magic made him stand out and like me, he wasn't a fan of everyone's attention: unless it was positive, then he was oddly like Magnus.

My memories were brought to an end as Magnus walked out of the bedroom, twenty minutes later, stating he was ready to go. Magnus had been wanting to teach Max how to make portals for a while now so saw it as the perfect time to teach him. He showed him step by step and they worked together to make a portal to the Institute.

We went through together and laughed when Max was flung to the other side and landed on the floor: he still wasn't used to going through portals. 'Stop laughing at me!' He stopped and Magnus and I attempted to stifle are laughs.

We helped him up and head to the main room where the ceremony was being held. I was surprised to see Luke and Jocelyn there with their six-year-old daughter. It was unusual that they had a child but the family was happy for them and Clary was in love with her little sister, Val.

They had been hesitant at the name but Clary and Jocelyn were adamant at the name and everyone agreed that it would pay as a memorial to the original Valentine and Sebastian. The ones before the power and corruption took over them.

We were the last to arrive, as usual, and Max and I were bombarded with hugs in kisses whilst Magnus stayed away in an attempt to avoid them but still got one from both Izzy and Clary. He hugged them back and went into a long discussion about clothes. Izzy and Magnus seemed to be ganging up against Clary, who did not agree on glitter and sequins on everyday outfits.

I stayed near Max, avoiding attention but it was unavoidable when my mother came up and stretched out Max' cheeks. 'You have grown up so much!' She squealed, being the over-excited grandma she is. Even my father smiled down at him and scruffed up his hair, 'how is the training going?' He asked and I sighed.

My father was adamant at pretending Max was a shadowhunter and no grandchild of his would be a warlock. Max loved to talk like a shadowhunter but it made me nervous that he would soon find out that my father was just ungrateful and mean. I had forgiven him but I still hated his biases, especially when it came to Magnus.

They carried on talking as something small grabbed my leg. It was Amy and she was tugging on my jeans. 'Happy birthday, Amy!' I exclaimed at her, making her giggle. I picked her up and tickled her. 'How's my favourite niece doing?' I heard Jace shout at me but ignored his antics; he was playing with Jay and Marie by the piano, failing to teach them how to play. Simon had now joined Jace and started talking animatedly to Jay about Star Wars, much to Jace's dismay.

This left me with Amy, who was begging for attention. I didn't mind, she was five after all and it was her birthday. I took her to the pile of presents. 'Open! Open!' She shouted at me. We would have to wait to get everyone's attention before opening them but I had an idea to get it.

I called over Max and brought him over. I didn't like this idea much but it was a good one. Everyone was talking loudly and I wasn't going to be able to get their attention without help. Max, unfortunately, didn't know how to do a voice-raising spell so I had to go for plan B. And, oh how I had always wanted to do plan B.

Max and I whispered to the plan for a few minutes and Amy was getting impatient so we set the plan in action. Max had just learnt how to summon things with magic, nothing demon like just simple objects. Jace was still at the piano and he was what we need to get this plan in action.

Max went up to the piano, leaning against it before clicking his fingers and a duck appeared right by Jace's hand. He froze but as soon as it quacked he squealed like a girl and everyone turned, panicked. Max quickly made the duck disappear and I called everyone to where Amy was so she could open the presents.

Everyone got the message but was confused why I was laughing so hard. No one had seen the duck but Jace, and obviously, Max and I did as well. Jace seemed confused too before coming up to me and punching me in the chest. 'Ow!' I shouted.

'That's for getting your son to summon a duck in the same room as me!' He screamed and everyone burst out laughing. Even Amy seemed to forget about presents. I raised my arms as a sign of surrender and he stalked off so Amy could open the presents. I went to sit down by Magnus and snuggled up to his side. We all sit down in a semi-circle around the presents as she began to open them.

They were all that you would expect for a five-year-old and everyone was happy to see Amy so excited. The party was drawing to a close as she reached for the last present. It was addressed to Amy from Magnus. 'You bought her a present yourself, Magnus?' He just shrugged and everyone looked at him curiously but turned their attention to the present as Amy unwrapped it quickly.

Everyone burst out laughing when they saw what was inside. Amy was just screaming that she loved them and went to give Magnus a hug which he took happily. In one hand she was holding a Luke Skywalker action figure from the original times of Star Wars, Simon was watching it in awe, and in the other hand was a plush duck toy in which she was cuddling.

Jace looked menacingly at us and then in fear of the duck. He approached Amy and took the duck. 'I will save you from this demon spawn!' He grabbed the toy off her and she started crying. He turned to Magnus. 'What have you done! You made a little girl fall in love with a demon!' He shouted and we all burst out laughing before Izzy gave back the duck to Amy, much to Jace's disapproval.

I guess it was just another day in the life of the New York Institute. You never knew what was coming next.

word count: 1508